1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on value of this Engelhardt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by edhead, Apr 14, 2009.

1. edhead

edhead

Nov 23, 2007
    Kent, Ohio
    Hello all, I am an electric bass player that is looking to move into the world of upright bass.

There is someone in my hometown with an Engelhardt ES-9 swingmaster that he is looking to trade. I know nothing about uprights and wanted to get everyone's opinion on the $$ value of this item.

Here is the link to the Craigslist ad for the bass. I have a guitar that I am in discussion with him regarding a trade. In the ad he mentions that this bass retails for around $1700, so what would you think a fair $$ value of the bass is.

The reason I ask, is I have a real good idea of the $$ value of my guitar, but no idea of the value of the bass.

thanks in advance

Ed

2. I saw that ad and was curious about that bass. I don't have anything he wants in trade though.

3. edhead

edhead

Nov 23, 2007
    Kent, Ohio
    I've been emailing him and I have an older Guild x-500 that he is interested in. I am thinking the Guild is worth more than the Engelhardt, but from the tone of his emails, I don't think he does.

That is why I am on a fact finding mission.

4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  5. Do you intend to play rockabilly with it?

Based on what he states, it may be a bit of a beater. Most likely, you will also be spending some $$$ on set-up, including new $tring$. Is there a luthier in the area who you can take it to? Then again, if he has an attitude already....

Also, if you consider the price on a new one (prior to set up), it may help you in making a decision.

Good luck!

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I don't really like Englehardts b/c the necks tend to be too thin. I realize this is the upper end of the Englehardts so it could be different.

The ad states that the bridge fell over once so the soundpost may have moved also. You would really need to have someone check it out.

7. edhead

edhead

Nov 23, 2007
    Kent, Ohio
    I would be playing folk and blues with it. I assume the nylon strings are not optimal for that.

again, thanks for any info.

Ed

8. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    Generally unless you're playing amplified you'll get more volume from gut or steel. I agree with Freddels on the Engel necks... some people like the thinner necks, but not me. Almost bought one as a first DB, but thanks to the good folks here on talkbass went to a strings shop and played a bunch of other basses first. Discovered there's many other ply basses out there for not much more than an Engelhardt I liked better for both feel and sound.

Also, if you haven't already, check out the newbie links at the top of this forum. A lot of good info there on different brands and how to shop for a DB. You can't really tell how a bass is going to sound just from the brand and model as each is individual and strings and setup make a lot of difference, but it can give you a starting point for what to look for and what to stay away from (ie cheap chinese ebay basses)

IMHO you'd come out ahead selling your X-500 then going bass shopping with cash in hand. I remember those as nice archtops and prices for the Rhode Island built Guilds have been going up since Fender bought them out.

9. A Swingmaster is an OK bass for playing roots music. No better or worse than the old Kay’s so many players favor. I have no idea of the value of your guitar, but I expect it’s harder to get top dollar for just about anything right now, basses or guitars. If your serious about getting into stand-ups this might be a good deal.

10. edhead

edhead

Nov 23, 2007
    Kent, Ohio
    Thanks for the advise. I ended up passing on the deal. It was something that came up quickly and wanted to gather info.

The info on the thin necks is interesting, as I tend to lean toward beefy necks on my electric basses.

I wish to thank everyone for their help.

ed