opinions on Victor Bailey's Koa bass or similar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superphat, Dec 11, 2001.

1. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    okay, i will have $2000 or so to spend on a new bass! yippee! ( i decided that i couldn't wait another 2 years to save for a Fodera) so i'm thinking i really want a Fender Victor Bailey jazz bass for the following reasons:
    1. koa/rosewood/mahogany - this combination of woods is very appealing to me.
    2. it's only ~$1400 so i could use $600 for a good preamp (maybe aguilar or swr)
    3. i like the jazz bass look, and this particular one is very pretty.

i haven't found one to try out in my area yet, so....

my questions are:
    1. have you played this bass? what did you think?
    2. are there any other suggestions for a bass in this price range ($2k) made from Koa or Mahogany?

2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love it! VERY nice peice! I've seen some used Smiths in your price range also.
  3. I've been keeping my eyes open for this bass ever since I heard about it. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't available yet. Musician's Friend's website would say, for instance, that the bass will be available on November 23rd. When November 23rd rolls around, all of a sudden it says it will be available on December 10th and so on..... I even called Fender Customer Service and they couldn't tell me when it was going to be available.

I am very interested in trying this bass out. I love Victor Bailey's tone. I know he used other basses on his previous records, but I heard a couple of soundclips from his new album, and sure enough, it's still got that Victor Bailey tone. To me, his tone just sounds so versatile.
  4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    You can indeed find a Fodera in your price range, if used is okay. For instance, there was a Monarch here for $1700 recently. There's some seriously nice stuff out here for $2K or less, I've never seen a better time to buy used high end gear.

I haven't seen a VB yet, looking forward to it, though I'm sure I won't buy one.
  5. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    oh my goodness!
    a fodera for under 2 grand????
    you mean, *gasp* i can actually become a fodera owner??? :eek:
    wow, this is a lot to think about....
    thanks... (i think):p
  6. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    yeah, i'm a huge victor bailey fan too.
    i love his tone, except it's probably mostly from his hands and technique, not to mention his amazing (and expensive) EBS amps...

can't wait to try that bass!!!
    (unless i find that fodera that brad was talking about first!)