Opinions on Vintage Fender Bullet Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Jan 12, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I'm looking into getting one of these boys. I can't find any locally so I can't test it out first hand but a couple of bands that have rolled into town have had am I loved how they sounded
    i think they were made 1980-1983 they have the tele headstock and a different styled body. I was just wondering if anyone on here had an experience with em and if they could tell me what they thought. I play in an aggressive indie style band. I love P bass tone but I need a strong bottom end too. I can't afford to get into a L-2000 :crying: so I'm trying to scoop up a strong Pbass for cheap.
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I remember the bullet line in the 80's. I think it was a pre-Squier foray into making inexpensive Fender instruments for beginners. I haven't seen one for years but as I remember they were pretty solidly made. I wouldn't give more for one that I would for an early eighties Squier P-bass.
  3. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    auction is ending in 20 minutes someone chime in!
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Unless it's gonna come in under $300 forget it. They sound way wimpier than a P-bass, they were a "budget" bass at the time and nothing special.

Wait for all the bullet lovers to come contradict me :bag:
  5. mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I think the controversial element is the pickup.

The construction and components seem identical to P-basses of the same vintage, otherwise.

I love the way mine sounds, but I am using it to back a singer with an acoustic guitar. The warm,woody tone it pumps fits perfectly. A lot of people replace the pickup with a P, but I hate to cut mine.