1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on volume of acoustic basses, specifically the Firefly and Playmate?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thecapm, Feb 18, 2008.

1. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I ordered a Michael Kelly Firefly the other day, and browsing around recently I have the feeling that I am going to be disappointed. The reason I wanted an acoustic bass was so that when I went away for regattas(sailing races) I could hang out on the dock or beach between rotations and jam with my acoustic guitar-playing teammates. I've read many glowing reviews of this bass, but also many that say it is too quiet to be heard over even an acoustic guitar.

My other choice was going to be the Dean Playmate EAB which, even though it's half the price, people always talk about how loud it is. Looks are nice, but are not a big factor at all. So my questions are if the Firefly will fit my purposes and if not should I downgrade to the Playmate?

2. TheGrizz

TheGrizz

Nov 19, 2007
    Athol, MA
    Sponsored Artist: Free Idea Clothing
    I would say that the Firefly plays better, but is a little quiet, especially the 5 string models.
    The Playmates are louder, but I didn't like their feel. I think you'll be happy with the Firefly, but remember as with most acoustic basses you need to play a little harder to get over the band:)

3. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for giving me a solid answer. I'm getting the 4 string version, by the way.

4. it's not so much about acoustic basses being quite, because that's already a given. Even so, I can be heard just fine with my bandmates in the songwriting room. It's when you're outdoors in an open area with no reinforcing walls or surfaces, is when any acoustic instrument is difficult to be heard. Most of the time, I have to play on my D and G strings just to be heard.

5. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hmm. Ok. I guess I'll just have to wait until the Firefly is in my hands and I get a chance to test it in the environment before I make the call

6. thecapm

thecapm

Dec 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Just a follow-up, I am pretty pleased with the Firefly. I used it all weekend and it suited my needs well. It was loud enough(provided that I played hard enough) that it could be heard on the beach with a guitar and a djembe. I recommend it. It also looks amazing. And as a result of having to pluck harder, my fingers strengthened so that when I picked up my electric playing it felt easy and smooth.