Opinions on Warwick Profets and lack of popularity

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowendpurveyor, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I've recently tried out a Warwick Profet and was quite impressed with the tone, particularly the amount of low end. Does anyone own one and if so what is your opinion of them? Also is there a reason for why Warwick bass amps do not seem so popular? Has anyone had a bad experience with them if so please let me know. Thanks.
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I havn't really seen these around much at all here in the States, aren't they mostly avalible in Europe?
  3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    They're popular in Europe. They're reliable with lots of usable sounds at reasonably good prices.
  4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Also aren't they pretty new? It takes a while for a product to catch on compared to the big name brands, and while Warwick is well known for their instruments building a bass and building an amp are two very different things.
  5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Been around for quite a while.

WAMP! there it is...
  6. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Yup, just ask Leo Fender
  7. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    I own a warwick Pro Fet IV and love it, it goes great with my eden cx410, it's a very warm sounding amp and the graphic eq rocks, the only thing i'd ever do now is to perhaps buy a seperate power amp for more volume, but really I play with a VERY loud drummer and the pro fet easily compeats even with running an 8Ohm load
  8. i'd like to know about this too, as i'm interested in the pro fet IV head...
  9. Jabba

Mar 11, 2005
    ProFet has 400 watts RMS into 4 ohms, as far as I know every 4x10 has 8 Ohm and Your Eden too, and amp doesn't make the most of 400 Wat (it's about 180 Watt only), You have to buy another 8 Ohm cab (1x15 for example, 8 Ohm + 8 Ohm makes 4 Ohm) the sound will be better and it will be loud enough.

(sorry for my English)
  10. I Just got an older one delivered today actually, got a Profet II, so obviously I cant comment on that one yet...
    However, in the studio, I play through a Profet IV + War 410 Pro, and I can talk about that one... Sounds absolutely SICK! (as in good. :D )
    Couples really well with my JB, brings out a lot of growl and really nice cleans. The EQ actually works, lol, it affects the sound quite nicely, and there is no distortion that you sometimes get at the extremes of the eq. nice and warm. thats what led me to buy the profet II, it has less power at around 250W rms, but I'll be using it mainly at home, so no worries there...

I've also got a trace 1518 to add to that little setup. should make some pictures fly off the walls... ;)

ps.: It is QUITE popular here in Europe... Maybe cause its German Designed, and probably one of the most sold brands for bassheads
  11. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well I only heard of them for the first time about a year ago, maybe I've been under a rock or something, but I think they might have a PR problem, at least here in the states. I know my reaction when was "Since when did Warwick make amps?".
  12. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I have a Pro Fet III.

I find it lacks low end (Always bumping up bass and using the low boost button) and lacks headroom majorly (So do all the Pro Fet amps especially, other warwick amps don't lack headroom as much, but they still do).
    Apart from that, it's a nice smooth sounding amp. Warwick's are bigger in Europe though, and Australia.