Opinions on what amp to use in combination with EBS cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da_witch, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Okay, here is the deal...next month or so I wanna buy new cabinets and an amp...I have a Peavey TNT Black Widow combo, wich is nice for the small gigs and when you are rehearseling with your band, but now I need more..

I know that I want EBS cabs (what I have to figure out...8x10 looks nice:D), but what head should I take?
    I will go to the store with my bass (6 string Myung Yamaha signature bass), but do you guys have any options for me? Why Ampeg? Maybe EBS all the way?

Input would be helpfull, maybe some tips you guys have to look at when I making my decision...

Thank you!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The music store Estrad Musik in Stockholm has as their main rental rig EBS 4x10, EBS 1x15 and an Ampeg head (don't know the model, but it's the big all-tube one). Weighs a ton, and costs a bundle, but I'm sure it sounds OK. ;)

But as you're in Holland, why not your local Hevos brand? I love it!
  3. Ampeg is definatly one of my options...but there is other nice stuff, like the amps EBS has...
    But Ampeg has a really nice warm tone so...

Could you tell me a little bit more how things work exactly with the Ohms and Watts?
    How much Ohms for the cabs with how many Ohms for the head?
    What is important to know? What is it with Ohms? I know it basically, but I want to now exactly...

But at least thank you for your reply...;)
  4. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Originally posted by da_witch:
    Could you tell me a little bit more how things work exactly with the Ohms and Watts?

You should start by reading a bit in the FAQ section of this board, there is an intro to ohms there. Then try the search function, there are a lot of discussions of this.
  5. M'kay, thank you!
  6. Hey Witchy - fancy meeting you here!;)

I've always been a big Trace Elliot fan - they do it for me. Not sure if you're looking for a valve head - you do seem to like Ampeg, or if a Solid State head would fit your needs.

Seeing as Trace Elliot are no more - since Gibson killed them off..... I've become a bit of an Ashdown fan.

You can check them out at:-

I'm also a sucker for the look of their cabs - they do an 8 x 10, but for portability I've considered their Mini 4 x 8 and their Mini 1 x 15 (they'd be kinder to my back than my Trace cabs currently are!)
  7. an ebs td650 would be nice on top of a few EBS cabs, or a fafner
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That'd be an opinion I happen to share.;)
  9. If you are going to buy 2 EBS cabs sometime in the future. Make shure the head can handle a 2 ohm load, because the EBS cabs are 4 ohm each. (2 4 ohm cabs = 2 ohm load.)
  10. either that or a stereo amp which can go down to 4Ohms on each channel
  11. That is good to know, thank you!
    I really have to get into this!..

And Johnny, cool to c ya here...;)
  12. Hmm...maybe this question isn't interesting enough for you "Bassgoeroes", but if someone has more suggestions for trying out bass head's....please tell me...;)

13. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Your question is a bit too general, perhaps if you add more info such as your preferred music style, your price range etc, someone could give you an opinion. It's still down to what you yourself prefer though, so try to test as many amps as possible before buying.
  14. I know it has to do with my own preferences, but maybe you guys know more amps to look at..
    I play progressive rock music, something like Dream Theater, Flowerkings, Yes etc. , I play a 6 string bass, I don't want the cold, clinical tone you usually hear in those bands, I prefer a warm, little punchy sound, price doesn't really matter, but together with a cab not abot 4000euro's.

15. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Double ditto.(no not dildo)
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just got a Fafner. Wooo! what a very nice amp. Lots of great tone options and beaucoup power. So my suggestion is.....the Fafner, of course.

Another great choice, but sorry I've never seen or tried out, is the Glockenklang stuff from Germany. I've just heard too many positive comments on this gear.

And our good friend, Anders, just got some Hevos equipment. I need to do a search for his review but it sure looked like a really great rig.
  17. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    I own an EBS 4x10:very,very good cab!I really dig it!
    But my Eden Navigator + Eden Wt1000 is what makes my rig the best amplification system I ever heard in my life!Everyone who listens to it,gets shocked:I've a couple of friends who are going to buy the same rig as mine.
    Go with Eden pre+power amp and you'll be very,very happy!
    Just my 00.2 ;)
  18. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  19. zoran

May 10, 2002
    Answer is ASHDOWN