Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on what new 5 string i should get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trent-35, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Hi guys. By the end of the year i want to get a new 5 string and i'm looking for opinions on what i should get. I went over to MARS yesterday hoping to check out a Godin 5 string, but they had none in stock and the guy that worked there said i was the 1st person who ever asked about one and they are phasing it being a dealer of them. I was thinking of a Stingray 5 because they are great instruments,and because they have no good place for me to plant my thumb, and i'd like to get myself out of that habit. I've liked almost every Pedulla i've ever picked up. I tried out a Warwick yesterday, liked it alot, but the body was awfully heavy. I know everyone says to get the one the fits your hand best, i'm just looking for feedback here. Does G&L make a 5 string? I wouldn't mind a Fender 5 string, but is the string spacing of the Jazz pretty close together? I don't use a pick. Of course, the string spacing on my Samick 5 string is fairly close. Does Fender P come in a 5 string? The style of music i play is country, rockabilly, rock, alternative, some blues. Thanks, Trent

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
  3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    There is a review of the Fender Precision 5 string in the August Bass Player magazine. You may also want to look at a Fender Roscoe Beck, a lot of guys rave about them. However, if you've liked almost every Pedulla you've picked up that should tell you something. :D

Mike

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love my Rapture J2 5 string, the Thunderbolt and pricier Thunderbolt are also excellent.

Fender Roscoe Beck 5 string is great, as is the Music Man Stingray and Sterling, the G&L L2500 is very versatile and you can get it in a variety of neck widths, the Peavey Cirrus is really nice, and as you get higher, the Zon Sonus and Lakland 55-94 are also great.

If these are a little out of your price range you might check out the Deans, Yamahas and the Peavey Millenium.

Play as many as you have access to and buy the one YOU like best that YOU can afford. Take all of our opinions with a grain of salt, it doesn't matter if I love my Rapture or somebody else likes their Fender, You are the one who has to live with your decision.

Good luck!

5. I tried out a Peavey Cirrus at sam Ash awhile back, i didn't like it. INow, that particular instrument was poorly set up, but even so, i could tell it wasn't the bass for me. I was just reading some reviews on the G&L L2500 and the Fender Roscoe Beck and both sound interesting, i'll check both out. Actually, for me, trying stuff out in a music store, even on my own amp is not really difinitive. I'd like to take a bass out and do a gig on it, but i doubt most places will let me do that. Trent

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Sorry I was short I was leaving work hey I dont surf from work so how did I see it?

Embellisher is right. THe problem about being unsure of a purchase (and we all have been there and will be again) is that when you ask people on a board for advice they are all sure but with conflicting choices.

Myself, Stingray 5 and others are Stingray fans

GM is a JAzz V fan and Bruce likes the Roscoe Beck.

There are obviously other 5'ers on this board who have their own 'baby'.

Try as much as you can until you have the right 'shortlist'
    Look at what choice gives you the most advantages and least disadvantages. Its this that separates most of us in our eventual choice. The biggest criticism of the Stingray 5 is 'one trick pony' yes so what? I can live with it. When I plug it in my pulse races the room shakes. WHat does it for you? MM? Fender? Pedulla? Sadowski? Lakland?

Happy hunting

7. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

*sigh*...we have become predictable and cliched...

-GM, going out to try some Godins this weekend, just to break out of the box ;)

8. I've got a Fender AmStd Jazz-V. At first I didn't like it. Floppy B and muddy low end. (Plus I had a terrible time adapting to the 5-string, not the fault of the bass; the fault of around 38 years playing a 4-string and being so in the groove with it that the 5-string just kicked my ass for a while.) Anyway, I changed the strings, installed a J-Retro on-board active system (practiced my ass off to get it into this old skull how a 5-string works) and VIOLA! This is one damn nice bass. You can get them for some pretty good deals now that everyone is blowing out the AmStd's. Check it out.

Just a note: If the new AmDlx-P-V had been available last year when I bought the Jazz, I would definitely have checked it out as I'm a bigger P-Bass fan than I am a J-Bass. I've seen a lot of good things posted about it and Bass Player liked it.

Good Luck on your search. Remember, this bass is for you, so no matter what anyone says is good, bad, or indifferent, ultimately you're the one that has to live with it and play it. So, follow your heart and mind and season them with all of the advice given here or wherever you're getting it.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    For both sound and playability, my top two choices, in order, would be the Stingray 5 and the G&L2500. The latter offers an almost amazing aray of different sounds by the Stingray 5 is better at the one great sound it offers.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    GM-it was not a pop at you its a carry over from our fine discussion on the merits of Stingray v Jazz. It was used to illustrate that we are all different. I'm just right is all
    (Angus told me to smile when I joke so :) :) :) )

11. zeta

zeta

Jun 16, 2000
    I own a Fender American Deluxe Precision V, A Roscoe Beck V,A stingray V, and a G@L 2500. I like the Roscoe Beck the best but the G@L has a narrower neck and can be easier to play unless you need more room between the strings. All sound excellent, but I like the Roscoe best. Value for money, would go to the G & L, with the others a close second as they are all about the same cost. You really can't go wrong with any of these. Pick the one that you are most comfortable with. If you spend the money to get a quality instrument, you won't lose money on it.
    Enjoy!

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Because nobody has ssaid it, and its an oversight, the Ibanez BTB. INCREDIBLY tight B string (almost as tight as my Modulus!!!), DEAD SILENT dual active soapbars with 3band EQ...oh, its awesome. They all basically sound the same (the prestige and the lower ones), but im getting the Prestige...its more pretty. :) Go with that man! Theyre REALLY awesome. I was surprised, as im NOT an Ibanez fan. Try it!

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    'Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer', huh angus? :)

14. Thanks for the feedback guys. The G&L L2500 comes with a choice of neck widths? I've never heard of a certain bass model that did that. Would you say the G&L is even more versitle than say a Fender jazz V? I grew up on Fender P, so i guess i've always been a "one trick pony' kind of a player,but if the one sound is great, hey, why not. I am enjoying switching off and playing my recently purchased Samick acousitc bass on certain songs. The band and crowd likes it too. I never had any problem switching to the 5 string 8 years ago when i started playing them. I fell in love with them in about 20 minutes. I have however enjoyed playing more 4 string again here lately with the Samick and the Fender MIM P i also recently picked up. I want whatever 5 string i get to be really nice because it's going to be my main bass. Trent

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yes, im DEFINITELY a believer in the BTB!

The G&L is a helluva lot more versatile than the Jazz. WAY more. But try the BTB...its got a tighter, well, everything. And i find it more comfortable. And it too is extremely versatile.

16. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I once let a Modulus Genesis 5 slip through my fingers. By far the best 5 string jazz bass out there. I have never played a more versatile bass. The genesis had more usable tones than any bass I have ever heard or played. I wish I would have had the cash at the time.

However, I also love the StingRay 5. Not enough good things can be said about that bass as well. I have found that since I have had the StingRay, I don't rest my thumb on anything. This then transfers to all of my basses. It really frees up your playing, IMO.

G

17. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

How 'bout Yamahas BB Nathan East signature?
    I liked the cheapassmodel(BBG5) of the series
    alot, and when there's a signature model..
    It even has 35" scale!

Rest your mind, Angus, I'm giving the BTB's a try
    sometime soon.

18. chymel

chymel

Apr 16, 2000
    Bought a Keith Roscoe LG-3005 not long ago. Sounds really good, plays good, excellent workmanship. Check them out at roscoeguitars.com.

19. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    CS...big LOL over here...heh! :) Poking fun at myself, really.

FWIW, if I had it to do over again, I'd go for the Roscoe Beck 5 string.

-GM

20. ToNe45

ToNe45

Apr 23, 2000
    u DEFINATLY need to check out the Ibanez BTB as well as the Warwick StreamerII. those are to bad ass bass with a hell of a lot of tone. i definatly with Mega Agnus on this one. a lot of people havent heard or played many BTBs, but put one in ur hands and plug that bad boy up and u will see the light.