opinions on which 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I need a four string. I started playing about a year ago - I started on a five string. I've been pretty happy with it, but since I've discovered slap I really want a four - and also I think that a regular short scale four is what I need to practice on to really learn the fret board. So I need a well rounded four string that will suit a guy like me and who's main role may be that of the slap bass. At first I was sure that I wanted to find a four string with wide string spacing, particularly at the bridge (to make slap/pop easier) - but the more I look at basses the more I wonder if there is that much difference on the spacing from one bass to the next. (I know there is some difference - a millimeter here and there...)And I also wonder if I really am going to want the widest spacing I can find - I mean will that really make slap easier or would it behoove me to have a more narrow neck. (maybe a 'faster' neck ?) So here is the more specific part of the question - I have seen the following basses for sale:
    An Ibanez soundgear (something 200 - SR200?) I think that it's probably the bottom of the line Ibanez, theres a bunch of 'em at guitar center for $299.00 - it's shiny blue with chrome hardware and it seems to me to have fairly wide string spacing (if that is in fact even what I'm looking for. I've been told that for the price, you can't beat it.
    A MIM J Bass - I spotted one at a pawn shop that I can pick up for just under $200/00 - something tells me that maybe I don't want to let that one get away.
    A MIM P bass - I spotted one at a good price at a local music shop - it's a sun burst and it's beautiful and it is brand new...
    Anything else anyone would recommend I check out.

Sorry - to anybody who hates long rambling posts. I know that the bottom line is what I like - but I have very little experience with different basses I don't have the advantage of playing them side by side (they are all at different places) - and the big factor, I'm not quite sure what it is I'm looking for - so...opinions would be appreciated.
  2. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You really do need to try out both the Jazz and the Precision. ANother one to try IMHO is a Yamaha.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I vote for the Jazz. I think you will find that a Jazz is a better slapper than a Precision.