1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Opinions, I need yours!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sea Bass, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    ok guys, so im fairly new to bass, and I LOVE IT! I have been playing guitar for many years, I still suck but hey its all for fun so whatever. anyways, I bought a used fender MIM jazz off here about 5 months back, I have been loving it. Well today I decided to go into the local music store to see how mine stacked up against others, I had no basis for comparison when I made my first purchase so now with an ideal tone preference in mind I sat down with a few different instruments. First one was the best and played like butter, and what do ya know, a MIM jazz, ***!? I couldnt believe it sounded that much better than the used one I picked up months back. Well with all the rave on MIA fenders I had to try one or 2, they only had a MIA precision, no jazzes. Also played a musicman bass and a squier 60s model. To be blunty honest, the MIM had the thump and sound that none of the others could even touch, maybe this one was built acceptionally good? So here is my delemma, I have wanted to step up to a american jazz cause people claim they rock but would I be crazy to just pick up the MIM one that sounded wonderful to me? I feel dumb replacing a MIM with an MIM but I was just truly blown away. Let me know your opinions and takes on this, any info is greatly appreciated. And for the record, money isnt much of a concern, im married and have $$ to spare(when nessesary lol). Thanks you guys, have a good one. Peade

2. Emmaporkchop

Emmaporkchop Guest

Jun 23, 2009
    Play what feels and sounds best to you. I have a MIM jazz deluxe actuve & P deluxe active and love them both. I chose those over the MIA's I played and several other brands. Of course the MIA's will hold their value much better if you decide to trade in or just sell it.
    I'm over the whole boutique brands or MIA guitars, and the MIM's are what got me over it!

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    If you like it, get it. If you have paid attention here on TB, lots of players have multiples of the same bass. If you keep the old one, have fun with a pickup mod or something. Since money is not an issue with you, keep an eye out for something different, but in the meantime, if you really liked that MIM, you'll be sorry when it is gone.

4. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    check out the "I learned something valuable" thread in "basses",might give ya some insight.Peace.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    ^word, thanks for that input. Just to throw this out there as well, a guy I know about an hour from here is letting go of his used Warwick thumb and it looks like its going to end up selling below 800 bucks. This was another option however I have not played it, and that was my determining factor on this fender I picked up, it just felt and sounded amazing. Keep the input coming, you guys are a great help!!

6. I'll throw in my vote for a professional setup as well as new strings for your MIM (I'm partial to DR sunbeams).

Also you neglected to mention what amp you own, and what amp you got to demo through at the store.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    ^yes I did ask as I was leaving about the setup, as well as a new set of strings. Figured I should try that before grabbing another. haha and yes the amp thing really dawned on me as well, im just playing through acoustic B20 and I plugged into a Roland cube in the store so that could have been a HUGE factor as well. Thanks guys!

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    No, there is nothing odd or "crazy" about trading a bass for another of the same model.

Basses (for the most part) are made from wood and therefore there are differences from one to another. One could build to identical basses from the same plank of wood and there is every possibility that they will sound slightly different.

So get the bass that sounds and plays best to you and stop worring about what it says on the headstock, after all it's just a label.

Cheers!

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    ^thanks for the input! Keep em coming guys, this is soooo much appriciated!

10. I think that's your biggest variable right there! Those 2 amps are voiced so differently. Next time you visit the shop you should bring your bass (or your b20) and just explain to them that you just want to spend some time a/b'ing.

11. Sounds like you have GAS, but I would do an A/B test before I went any further. A fresh set of strings and proper setup, and you may find that yours is the jewel.

But checking them through two different amps isn't an even playing field. Could be, and I would suspect, that your little B20 amp is the lacking piece in the equation. The little Roland Cube amps are actually good sounding amps, the same cannot always been said for the Acoustic under current ownership.

My advice is get a new set of Fender strings, because the store bass will be equipped with them, and we want this to be fair. Get a good setup done, and head for the music store.

Set your tone controls the same, and do your A/B testing. If you make a tone control adjustment to one bass or to the amp, duplicate it to the other bass. And don't stop at one amp either, try several, large and small. You never know, you might get a chance to figure out what your next amp purchase will be as well.

And if you like the way both basses sound, go ahead and buy it, they'll make more.

Disclaimer: The above text is JMHO

12. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes, I'd say go for it, is it one of the new models? I think they're a step up from the older MIMs although my P is a 2002 version and I love it.

Don't forget the piccys!

13. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    Cool, thanks guys! Well the main thing I noticed was the lack of thump my bass has, it has bass of course, but it doesnt have that pop ive heard on 90% of the ones played, mines more of a dull, drone tone. Also, the action and playabilty of this one felt 100% better, 0 fret buzz popping and plucking up on higher frets were my MIM would just rattle and sound NOTHING close to it. I do agree with yall that the amp is a factor, but I feel like it might be a bit more than that. Anyways im going to take my bass into the store soon for some new strings and a setup, then I can hook it up and play it next to that one. Any more input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

14. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    I assume it was new model, I didnt check the serial on the headstock though so I will do that next time im in there to see when this one was made. Thank you!

15. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    hey just wanted to see if anyone had anything else to add? These threads get lost so fast with the vast majority of topics and members here, not that its a bad thing! Anyways thanks again for the help thus far guys, giving me a lot of options and ideas to explore before I jump on this one.

16. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    Why don't you give this thread an update when you've had a chance to A/B? I'm sure the folks that responded would like to hear your opinions on the matter and a little more detailed info if you have it, i.e. is your current MIM stock? Is the one you're GASsing for stock? The devil's in the details.

+1 for strings and setup. It's one way to get yourself a whole new bass. Switch out the pickup and BAM! New bass again.

17. Sea Bass

Sea Bass

Sep 19, 2009
    ^right on, well the one I bought used is stock, and is possible a squier series? Doesnt say it on the headstock, but it looks like it coulda been sanded away. Its got the fender logo on the headstock in black, and from what I was told they only did them for a short time. The one im looking at is stock also, and ya strings and setup soon on the new one then il report back.

18. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    yeah,keep us "posted"!

19. Another issue is the fact that stores (around here, anyway) almost NEVER set up a new bass before they hang it on the wall. So you get a random setup with any bass you pull off the rack. I've pulled MIA Fenders off the rack that play like crap and MIM Fenders that play great, and vice-versa. It's completely stupid, but my local stores leave it all to chance with respect to setup.

Others have already said it and I'll agree loudly... play what you like. The more you enjoy playing, the more often you'll play, and the better you'll become at playing. If you dig that MIM bass, don't sweat what it says on the headstock. Just play it.

20. smackr01

smackr01

Feb 15, 2010
    If it sounded good and gave you the sound you were looking for I say go for it. You gotta go with what ya feel.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 5, 2020