1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions please ASHDOWN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ragtopbass, Aug 30, 2007.

1. ragtopbass

ragtopbass

Mar 30, 2007
    Spring TX
    My current rig is an 8x10 ampeg cab with an ampeg B4R head.....

I recently played through a friends Ashdown Mag C210-300 combo bass amp, stacked on a Mag 115 deep bass cab (this was in a live setting also so i got the full affect) ..... I absolutley loved it!!!! I started looking at them and I was shocked at the affordability.... and then i grew concerned about the affordability.... Should I be????

And should I stack the combo on a 1x15 cab or a 4x10 cab what do ya'll think..... Is this worth selling my current ampeg rig to get???? I just cannot get my ampeg rig to sound that sweet.....

2. I'm not sure what you total budget is but maybe you should try stacking an SVT-CL, SVT-VR, or a SVT-II on that 8x10. I'm not sure what "your sound" is but you have a great cab, I think IMO the head may be the weak link.

pick one up used on ebay for $800 and up. You could probably hit gui**** center, they usually have an SVT with an 8x10 to demo.

I previously owned an Ashdown ABM 210 and 115. It was a fine rig. But seemed a bit heavy in the low end.

3. ragtopbass

ragtopbass

Mar 30, 2007
    Spring TX
    I think that I may agree with you in regards to the head being the weak spot.... I love the CL but my tone has just not been very smooth.... Funny you mention that because my friend who's ashdown I used sold his B4 to get his ashdown, but he still swears by the B4.... I think another problem might be that I am using a USA Jazz when I should be using a P or a music man something a little more punchy and round.....

4. i played through an ashdown abm 500 through a 2x10 for about 4 years

i recently sold it because i felt the tone was dull and muffled. it also hated my conklin's 18v preamp. it would fart out unless i took the volume on the bass way down.

i switched to GK. take that however you want :)
    ~gR~

5. The jazz is a GREAT bass. You may get some benefit from an outboard pre (Sadowsky, Demeter, etc). S/B avail in the $175-$250 range. Could also try some sort of tube pre or a Sansamp BDDI. I would try a couple smaller fixes first before overhauling the entire rig.

6. ragtopbass

ragtopbass

Mar 30, 2007
    Spring TX
    ok but if you were to get the 210 combo would you Put it on top of a 115 or a 410????

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I think you can't go wrong with Ashdown. I have played the ABM EVO 900 (pre EVO II) and the 414T cab for 2 or 3 years now and I LOVE them!!

It's a great set-up that has a lot of tonal diversity and power. You may have to fool around with the EQ for a while to get the sound you want, but once you do, it's great!

I would get the ABM 500, ecspecially if you are only running one cab. If you run two off of one amp, then get the 900.

8. I'm thinking 4x10. would make for a semi-wall of sound.

American Musical Supply has the ABM 8ohm 4x10 b-stock for $489.00 and you can break up payments.

9. I think MAG heads stink! they blow up too! I have an MK500 - love it. The MAG cabs are OK, a little rumbly.

10. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I love my mag stuff. I have the 210 combo and two 410 cabs. great stuff but has a distinct tone. you should try before you buy.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    +1...

I have an Ashdown combo, whilst it is constructed well I am far from impressed with the tone, it's just not my thing. Ampeg and Ashdown, as much as people like to compare them are completely different animals. I just upgraded to an Ampeg SVT410 and SVT-3PRO... I am never looking back. Long live Ampeg. :D

Of course, if you love the Ashdown tone, they are great amps. If you dont like the Ashdown tone, they are horrible. ;)