Opinions please. BABICZ FCH-4 or Hipshot A Style?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rmcfee, Jul 14, 2021.

1. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    I'm looking for the best tone. My string to string spacing is 20mm but I'm sure 19mm would feel fine. 19mm seems more common.
    I hear great things about the Ray Ross saddle-less bridges but it's too much money.
    Or, are there other brands you guys (or gals) could suggest? Thanks!

2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

If you're limiting yourself to either the Babicz FCH4 or the Hipshot A ? As someone who has basses with both... I say get the Hipshot. My '18 Gibson Thunderbird has a Babicz FCH4 bridge; which was loudly hailed as a vast improvement over the Gibson 3-point bridge - like the one on my '13 Thunderbird. Maybe I got a bad one, but... gotta tell ya; by the time I'd spent 3 1/2 hours filing burrs and flash off every threaded hole and moving part; polishing said parts with 4000 grit emery paper; putting it back together to see if it worked; and having to take it back apart again, to file/polish on it some more? Sorry; I am not a fan. It works fine - now. But... I won't let another one in my house. The other T-Bird's reviled 3-pointer, OTOH, works flawlessly, and is a cinch to set up. So much for "progress"...
    As for the Hipshot A bridge? I have one, on an '06 Carvin LB-20. I've never had the slightest problem with the thing. Very easy to string up - slightly less so if you want to do the thru-body string thing, but not bad; adjustments and intonation are easy and fairly quick; it stays where you set it. I'm quite happy with it.
    So, of the two? The Hipshot gets my vote. However, if I build something new, or I have to replace a bass bridge? If it will work on the bass, I really prefer the Schaller 3D-4 bridge. The spacing of the roller saddles is adjustable; it strings up and adjusts easily, and... well, it's a Schaller. I have 4 basses with them at the moment, and If I was someone who liked modding my basses just for the fun of it? Every bass I own that could use one - would have one...:cool:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
    rmcfee likes this.
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Hipshot if for nothing else...quick loading strings. I'd consider the Hipshot B as well, it's my favorite.

rmcfee likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Most of the time a change of bridge has no effect on tone - the exception would be if your original bridge was a true piece of crap.

So get the one that functions the best, and (secondarily) looks nice.

Some people love the Babicz. I think they’re gaudy and unnecessarily complicated looking. Even if they work well, I’m going for Hipshot. Or Schaller. Or Gotoh. Honestly, the Sung-Ils out of Korea work fine.

Luigir and rmcfee like this.
  5. Luigir

Luigir

Mar 15, 2018
    You might hear this bass bridge comparison:

IMHO the changes in tone among different bridges are too small to really care.

rmcfee likes this.
  6. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    Well, the truth is that I find my bass sounds excellent (acoustically) so this is just an experiment.
    The bass is a Korean MTD and it has a light bridge (Very vintage Fenderish).
    I see that the super expensive (beautiful) USA MTDs have Hipshots or similar heavy style bridges. So it might not be an improvement I guess.

7. rmcfee

rmcfee

Jul 5, 2012
    Wow that video shows how small (or non existent) the differences are. Crazy.

ctmullins and Luigir like this.