Opinions please: flats for my DLX Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rockin John, Sep 19, 2004.

1. I'd like to fit some flats but am not really sure which way to go. The Maple board's bright so I'm looking for something with a bit more of an "earthy" character; something with more bottom end.

There are a few makes that I know of but have only ever tried TI Jazz flats on a budget fretless. I love these strings but, 1) they're expensive (about £40 for a set for my bass), 2) their low tension makes truss rod adjustment V difficult. Eg. I put a set of Jazz rounds on a Yamaha 5er: the rod nut was completely undone and still I needed to get less bow into the neck.

I am also aware of the following brands but haven't tried any of them:-

Rotosound 77s

Labella Jazz Flats.

Elites (don't know model).

Fender make flats but not in 5 string sets apparently.

There are almost certainly other makes but I'm not familiar.

As always, advice and wisdom genuinely appreciated.

2. Rotosound Jazz 77's will be very bright (ie. think Steve Harris' tone) until they're played in/dead.
    they're rougher in texture than most flats.
    also the tension is stiff.

Steve Lawson uses Elites flats on his Modulus 6 fretted and fretless.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    TI flats. Search up on 'em and check out the TI forum on the Dudepit, lots of info.
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey John, I've got maple boards on my fretted and fretless... I use SIT Powerflats. Nice and thumpy, but being grounds they still flex and sustain a bit.
  5. Hello Gents, and thanks for taking the trouble.

I did wonder about Rotos, MTR, on both counts. I'll probably not go there. The Elites are supposed to be coming free of charge through my dealer so we'll seew about them soon I hope!

I would probably have bought Thomastics without another thought. But playing is only a hobby and I don't earn a penny from it. So, with the truss difficulties 'n' all, I didn't buy. BTW, Gov', what, err, is the Dudepit?

And to James, I've never heard of those strings and have never seen them for sale in lil ole England.

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    I figured that... www.sitstrings.com is the site, great strings and a nice bunch of guys.

BTW: My Grandmother on my Mom's side is from your town. I don't know any of them, but I'm related to some of the "Johnson" family there.
  7. Well, James, some coinsidence about your family being from around these parts! Perhaps you can lay claim to owning part of the Robin Hood ledgend. That's the legend that seems to keep so much money pouring into the City (but not enough money according to those who say they know best!!!).

As a side issue, check out some of the WWW sites on the old place: bet it's changed some since your Grandma's time.

Anyway, I'm off to check out that WWW on the strings.

Take care.

8. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
  9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    unfortunately she left us last winter... My mother did take her home to visit about 4 years back. They stayed 2 weeks about the area with different cousins.

Good luck with the search for flatwounds!
  10. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've used D'Addario Chromes on an MIA Jazz V with great results. Thumpy, but they retained enough brightness to cut through the mix well.
  11. Thanks folks.

I'm going to try these chromes. My dealer supplying me a set of Elite flats for free so gotta try those. I'm going to order a set of chromes over the weekend so I can try the sound against the Elites.

Funnily enough, my dealer also gave me a set of Fender 7250-5 (rounds) to try. I strung them through the bridge. Nice strings. But flats are the aim.

Thanks again guys.

12. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I totally agree. I had them on my MIA Jazz Deluxe V for a while...went back to rounds....and now going back to Chromes. Go figure. Mine has a maple board and sounded lovely with the chromes (I could even get some growl out of them).