1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions please on L-1500

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by Kompressaur, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Kompressaur

Kompressaur

Aug 21, 2006
    looking through the last 8 or 9 pages I couldnt see any posts about the L-1500. is this bass a bit of a sleeper or just not popular.anyway it seems kind of ignored.. what's the reason and where's the love?

I've been playing mine pretty much exclusively this week because I was thinking of punting it on for something else because
    a) I aleady have a pair of Sterlings with the same p/up position
    b) its not anywhere near as versatile as my Asat either and
    c)I generally dont get on with a 1.75 nut

but

I've been plugging it into my Roland Discover midi player and jamming along with loads of 70's and 80's disco/funk/soul files and it just sits so nice with the music (especially in parallel to my ears)
    on certain tracks where the Sterlings drop out in the mix a bit,the L1500 just sits there in its own space as confident as you like.

it really suits 8th note stuff on rock as well (fingers or pick). again where the Asat can sound too rounded and warm in the bottom end,the L1500 sounds quite honkin and aggressive.

ok I'll admit it - I never really understood the L1500 up till this week..maybe just saw it as G&Ls answer to the stingray before and I've been somewhat underwhelmed the month or so of owning it (bought it on spec and didnt spend any time with it till this week)but now its grown on me hugely, its got its own vibe and does sounds the L2K and Asat cant do. (but obviously they do a ton of sounds the L1500 cant)

so whats your take on it? wax lyrical or be indifferent...any comments will be greatly appreciated

here's the bass in question - it has more than won itself a reprieve - we're well on our way to bonding and I see it in a completely different light now:bassist:

DSC01005.

one of the Sterlings is going instead now

Komp

2. That's what I would have recommended instead. Better to have a versatile array of basses even though it's understandable to have more than one of the same one for backup purposes.

It's true that the L-1500 just doesn't get the love it deserves, maybe because it resembles the Stingray/Sterling a little too much. But it has its own unique character, and I think it's awesome that you can switch to passive at the drop of a dime. That's one of the main innovations with active G&L basses that I love. And many of us at the G&L forums here and at Badassbassplayers do love the L-1500/1505.

Is there any active G&L bass that can't switch to passive? I see even the Climax has the switch.

3. Here's an opinion: yours is pretty! :)

A month ago DHL delivered mine - a fretless cobalt blue one. Except the headstock was broken off during transport... :crying:

It's an insurance issue now, and they're making me a new one. No idea when it will be finished, but I'll have an opinion then!

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    You've probably seen my opinion, because my review is right before yours on Harmony-Central! Here's the link for others: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Electric+Bass/product/G&L/L1500/10/1

I'm glad you're warming up to it. I'm still really into my L-1500, though my SB-2 is better in my current band, and I've finally adjusted its neck so it plays almost as effortlessly as the L-1500. But the 1500 is still my best playing bass, and it does things my Fenders and SB-2 can't, so it's a "core" bass in the arsenal. Here it is:

2006_0501GandL0002.

5. To be honest, I'm collecting pictures of your L-1500, Nedmundo... One day, I'll buy a G&L only to have one in that color!

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Climax; which is the same thing.
    Mine's wired different than standard, it's now:
    preamp off/on/on+treble boost ala L2000
    single coil/dual coil/single with bass boost ala L1000

I really like it very well. It's kinda "Stingray with more aggression."
    climax04.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I'm in the same boat. I've been offered a tobacco sunburst 1505 in trade (plus cash). The only G&L I've ever played was either a Lynx or El Toro 4 banger some 13 years ago but I recall it had a very distinct mid / high-end presence. I guess I can always flip it for what I have invested if not happy.

Riis