Opinions please: Washburn MIA XB 900

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Apr 23, 2004.

1. In and earlier post, Washburn basses were recommended. I am looking for tone... phat, J-bass or P/J (at the least twin p-ups, active electronics).

Any comments, suggestion. I am not familiar with this bass and have never played one, but I have played a fair amount of basses. What is the action like on this one? What is a "good" used price to pay?
    Thanks! John
  2. its basically a musicman clone, i think it has the same preamp and pickups that duncan uses for a standard upgrade... i wouldnt go over 400, they were all over ebay a few weeks ago for a buy it now price of 369 with a hardschell case brand new
  3. k, cool, this is an older one, 90's, with twin Bartolini p-ups and natural wood body. The bottom line is I am looking for the best sound and playability for the least $$ -- but I don't want to land something I am not happy with -- that's what I am dealing with now with the Yamaha bass I have been playing! Well made, but just can't do with it what i want...

The bass I have played the most and like for the money is a Fender zone MIM. They retail for around $600 and no deals to really speak of.
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I used to own one. It was a great bass in terms of weight and playability, and very decently built, but it doesn't do phat J or P/J. It's a very bright sounding Stingray clone (minus the weight and with a really fast neck).
  5. okay, thanks much, i'm going to forget about it... i already have somewhat that sound now!
  6. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    I have a Washburn with the dual Barts wide humbuckers, but my model is the XB925. Its one of the best unknown basses out there, it really pumps out some volume and cuts through the mix with some deep clear bass and mids. The B string is not the tightest for slapping, but it stills sounds nice, this bass definately have an awesome fingerstyle tone