Opinions, please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slowburnaz, May 30, 2005.

1. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I've got a Geddy Lee Jazz, and I'm replacing the stock pickups with some Dimarzio Model Js (DP123). I hardly ever use the tone knob, so I'm debating putting in a switch. Now, I've done the popular series/parallel mod before for the whole circuit, but this might be fun (and I'm loking to do something a bit different): The Model Js are humbucking, so you can run the individual pickups themselves in series or parallel. I'm thinking of replacing the tone knob with a switch to make one of the pickups go between series and parallel, rather than the whole circuit (ie. both pickups in either series or parallel).

Which do you think I should make switchable, the bridge or the neck pickup? The way I figure it, the bridge pickup probably would affect the tone character more (seeing as how the bridge pickup's mids put the "bite" into the J bass sound).

Whaddaya think?

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd put the switch on the pickup that you play closer to. IMO, this would provide a larger palette of tones
  3. Keep the tone control. diMarzio internal parallel wiring is seriously uninteresting IME.
  4. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    That bad, eh?

I may just keep the tone control... or, I could really go crazy and do something like this: http://www.guitar-mod.com/ctbass/ctimages/ctbass_wiring.gif

I'd have to add an extra knob somewhere, so maybe I'll do it at a later time. But this looks interesting, though: This guy talks about a passive "volume kit", and it acts as a high pass filter...

5. That bad? Well, the strength of the Model J is the gutsy, ballsy sound. The actual timbre of the pickup is not so attractive. It has no real delicacy or fine detail. If you wire the pickup in parallel you lose this power.

YMMV, of course.