1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions, please...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wayne8, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Okay, so I've had my Squire VM 70's Jazz for a couple of weeks now. I love it! Really wouldn't want to change anything about it...except for possibly this one little thing. And this may sound stupid. But the really glossy black pickguard sure does show fingerprints. I'm tempted to replace it with a flat black one.

What would y'all do?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Pics? No pics, no bass.

3. Why not? Would probably look fine.

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    you can tun that glossy black into flat by using some #000 steel wool. just rub in random circles.

5. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Make sure you pull your pickguard off before attempting this. You do not want to get steel wool anywhere near your pickup magnets.

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Put a brown tort one on.

7. I've thought of tortoise, too. They look real good but how badly would it show fingerprints? Not as bad as the gloss black?

8. Has anyone done this? Does it turn out looking uniform?

9. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Personally I'd leave it alone till it gets some abuse before changing it.

But hey.....if it bugs you, change it.

I love the look of the bass by the way. I've got similar, sans black binding.

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My bass has that black/red orangeish pickguard, and never shows any fngerprints

11. Demian

Demian

Oct 2, 2008
    Hanau, Germany
    Actually, I'd say no. The tortoise pickguards always look a bit like some pavement pizza to me. :D
    No offense, I really like tortoise pickguards on a sunburst or olympic white Fender Bass, so just that so far about the vomit-look, I do not want to be mistaken. ;)
    So, coming back to your question, due to those color changes a tortoise pickguard has, the fingerprints will not be spotted as easily as on a jet black pickguard. However, you might still see them, depending from which angle you're looking at your axe and from which angle the light is coming. But the fingerprints won't be clearly visible to the audience when you're using a tortoise one, if it's that what you're worrying about.

12. Yeah, I know I'm not going to get totally away from fingerprints, it's just that they're so noticable on the glass black. The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I want tortoise but I guess the only way I'm going to do that is to trace mine and mail it off to one of the companies that do that because apparently Fender guards don't necessarily fit Squires. And in trying to research this issue, I've run across a post where a guy said he still used steel wool to take a little gloss off of his tortoise guard.

Okay, new question...

Flat black or tortoise?

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why not just leave the pickguard alone and wipe it clean of prints every time you finish playing it?

14. You, sir, are a genious! That is probably the most sensible response yet. Still think I'd like the look of Tortoise better, though.

15. Okay, so since it's so hard to tell what the tortoise shell looks like online, where do y'all think I might find the best looking tortoise shell guards?

16. you can always just wipe the pickguard down before playing a show so that the fingerprints dont show as much? lol

17. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Try Allparts for a replacement

18. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Flat black. Aesthetically it fits in with the flat black blocks and binding. Tortoise detracts and distracts IMO.