Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions please.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Jun 5, 2002.

1. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I run a music store. I have talked to a dealer of mine, who has told me that they can customize some cabs for me (rather inexpensive). So, I'm thinking NEW RIG!

Tell me your opinions on my ideas, just please be nice :) . (BTW, these are just the cabs, amps later)

2 2x10 cabs.

One cab set at 8 ohms. No tweeter. Quarter ins and outs, along with Speakon. The "bottom" cab.

Cab #2 is the fancy one. Impedence switch to go from 8 to 4 ohms, so I can run one cab or both. Bullet tweeter with crossover. Same ins and outs. The "top" cab if you will.

The 10's are Eminence that hande 150w each. The cabs will be customed covered with what was described to me as "truck bed liner" . Spring handles, metal corners, etc, etc.
    My idea is I can have 4 ohms running with 1 or 2 cabs, just flick a switch.

Sorry for the legnth, but thanks in adance.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... how is he going to accomplish the switcheroo? Wire the cab for four ohms and put a resistor in series that can be switched in and out of the circuit? Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel will give you 4 ohms, but switching them to series will give you 16 ohms.

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Im not sure, I just do as I'm told. Do you have any suggestions though if it has to be 16ohms?

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Yeah, I'm intrigued too! I drew out a couple of 'theories' but when I did the sums - it didn't work out!

5. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    So I probably misunderstood the guy. I could just always get the cabs wired for 4 ohms each, and get an amp capable of 2 ohms. Or a stereo amp. But does it sound like a good idea? I mean, Emminence speakers do sound good to me. It'd look different enough to raise questions and get me business. :confused: Why do I ask meaningless questions?