1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

opinions sought for passive jazz...blend or v/v? (again) for fender mb-5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by yodedude2, Jan 18, 2018.

1. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

tl;dr: do i put in some new cts pots in a volume/volume/tone configuration or keep the >20 year old vol/blend/tone setup?

hey y'all, i recently got a fender mb-5 with standard electronics. looks like two humbuckers in 94mm jazz shells with a volume/blend/tone setup. kinda funky in the cavity; the wiring is kept short and there are pickup shields like vintage fenders. anyway, i went to install a lace sensor in the rear spot and...screwed it up. the original cavity/pot wiring is dry, and some of the thin ground wires started breaking, and now the whole thing is a mess. i'm gonna pull it out and redo the whole thing. so: do i put in some new cts pots i have in a volume/volume/tone configuration or keep the >20 year old vol/blend/tone setup?

blixild likes this.
  2. two 500K Ohm linear taper pots for volume
    500K Ohm audio taper for treble cut

blend pots just add loading of the circuit, i.e. less output

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    bassbooty and yodedude2 like this.
  3. yodedude2

^^ good point. i neglected to remember that.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    I'm late to the game here, but 7-8 years ago I replaced my MB-5's pots with V/V/T and added a series/parallel switch, which is pretty easy and gives you another tone option.

I've been thinking of switching back, though... I also have an MB-4 that has the original blend setup, and I think some of the character of these basses is lost with the V/V/T setup.

yodedude2 likes this.
  5. yodedude2

following up...finally did the install. i put in three cts 500k audio taper pots since i had them on hand. roll off is quick, but usable. i also used a .22 cap on the tone pot. wiring is much more stable now. i installed a lace sensor in the neck. i had one for the bridge, but discovered that it is a horizontally-split humbucker (!) so it does not pick up the center string.

if anyone has the old-style 94 mm lace sensor bridge pickup handy, the kind that senses the strings like a rail pickup does, i'm a buyer.

6. A blend just throws an extra pot into the mix, extra loading, so a V/V/T should actually have more highs & more output than a V/B/T setup.

bassbooty likes this.
  7. blixild

blixild

Mar 4, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    That's what I'm saying... Having a default warmer/darker sound really suits these basses IMO.

8. The darker sound can be obtained by rolling back the treble cut (tones) control.
    With the balance you're already limiting the upper range of it.

I'd rather have a vehicle that can do 120 kph & I just lay off the throttle at 80 kph, instead of a vehicle that can only do 75 kph.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    bassbooty likes this.