1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Opinions sought on true strobe clip-on tuners

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by John Le Guyader, May 24, 2017.

1. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I originally posted this on the double bass side.

I am in the market for a new clip-on tuner and during my search I've noticed a bunch of relatively new (and not so new) strobe tuners. I am going to list them below via Amazon links.

Any opinions generally about strobe vs. non-strobe clip-ons and/or the newer strobe clip-ons? Bang for buck, versus sensitivity versus practical usability are points I am looking for. I'll be using this for upright as well as electric/acoustic bass guitar and I don't have experience with clip-on strobe tuners at all. I am not looking for a pedal version.

The list in no special order (not saying this is a definitive list, just what I could find on Amazon):

ZenStrobe by Crescendo ($28.95 Prime) (Amazon.com: Crescendo ZenStrobe TRUE STROBE Clip-On Tuner, for Any or All Instruments, Acoustic, Electric, Classical Guitar, Bass, Violin, Ukulele , Most Accurate Available, Professional Grade: Musical Instruments

Intellitouch PT10S ($29.75 free shipping) Amazon.com: Intellitouch Easy Strobe Tuner: Musical Instruments

TC Polytune Clip-On ($49.00 Prime) Amazon.com: TC Electronic PolyTune Clip: Musical Instruments

Old Perterson Stroboclip (discontinued but still available $80 at Guitar Center) Amazon.com: Peterson StroboClip Clip-On Strobe Tuner: Musical Instruments

New Peterson Stroboclip HD (not yet on Amazon $60 at Sweetwater) Peterson StroboClip HD Clip-on StrobeTuner - High Definition

StrobeX ET-03 ($35.00 Prime) Amazon.com: Guitar Tuner Clip On Strobe For Beginners and Professionals That Tunes Acoustic, Electric, Bass, Classical Guitars And Modes For Chromatic,Ukulele,Violin.Electronic Super Tight Tuning High Sensitive Vibration Sensor. Discounted Black Friday Gift. Lifetime Warranty. Fast, Accurate Yet Easy To Use. Word's Smallest Clip on Strobe Tuner. Compact And Swivels 360 Degrees. Sweetened Modes Preferred By Musicians. Strobex Allows You To Tune Like A Pro!: Musical Instruments

ENO ET-03 ($11.99 free shipping) (looks the same as StrobeX) Amazon.com: ENO Strobe Guitar Tuner, Clip on Bass Tuner, LED and LCD Display, Vibration Sensor, Compact and Swivels 360 Degrees: Musical Instruments

Korg SHPRO Sledgehammer Pro Clip-On Guitar Tuner ($19.59 free shipping) Amazon.com: Korg SHPRO Sledgehammer Pro Clip-On Guitar Tuner: Musical Instruments

2. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    the clip on tuner(s) i have seem to eat a battery quick
    am wondering if any of these have better battery life
    mine use the 2032 lith cells. p

MrLenny1 likes this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I've got a Korg Pitchhawk & it has a Fine setting in Chromatic mode, which make the display a strobe.
    It's the best clip-on tuner I've ever owned, because I can use it to set intonation on basses and guitars.
    In the past I've tried that with other clip-on tuners & none of them would work for intonation.

[​IMG]

4. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    cool, looks like they are pretty reasonably priced too..
    what about battery type & life of battery?
    p

5. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    East Coast
    what is difference between pitchcrow and pitchhawk, besides price..
    one is 13.00 and other is 29.00
    pitch crow looks like it has 24 hr batt life
    p

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

CR2032 battery
    I've had it for a couple of months now & the battery is fine, but TBH I only use it once/week. I play daily, but my instruments stay in tune famously :cool:

7. For what it's worth, I have a Korg pitch black rack mounted tuner, and for the price it's a great tuner. I never have any issues with catching any notes, it's precise and fast.

If the clip on is based on this tuner, I can see why it's getting good reviews.

I've tried a few clip on tuners with the Daddario being my favorite but it still doesn't catch the B string all the time, which is my major pet peeve with clip ons.

Seems I ever have any issues with the standard four string bass, but that B string is hard to get to register. Hence the reason I opt for the rack mounted unit.

To be fair though, I have not tried the Korg clip on though.

PawleeP likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i doubt that any of these are truly strobe tuners aside from the peterson.

the rest are likely just regular digital tuners with an option for a display that looks like a strobe pattern, not the same thing at all.

(edit: i take that back! it looks like some of them are actually doing turbo-tuner-style strobing, or even a knockoff of the peterson "virtual strobe" tech. interesting!)

jleguy likes this.
  9. laklandplayer

laklandplayer Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2001
    USA - Memphis, TN
    The TC works great on bass is is very accurate. I've had mine 2 years, same battery.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021