Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions sought....................

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jpo259, Aug 9, 2005.

1. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    .... I have a Warwick Corvette Standard fretless. Last year, I took out the stock PASSIVE MEC's and put in ACTIVE EMG J/J's with an EMG BTC Control System (Vol, Blend, stacked Bass/Treb.). Something is missing with this setup. WARMTH, to be exact. With a world of great electronic options out there, I know there MUST be something better and more suiteable out there for this bass. The EMG's are just too......................zingy, for lack of a better word. Too....sterile. I want: More low and mid-low tone. More 'FAT' in the tone. So, whatcha all think???!!!!! Passive or active, but I'm thinking passive might be best. Any ideas??

2. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio

I am considering either Dimarzio J's (not UJ's) or Nordstrand SE's for my Corvette Std w/ Bart NTBT preamp as I have heard good things about both. I seem to remember FAT, WARMTH, and low-mid punch being present in both sets. Passive might help you get the 'woody' tonal qualities of your Corvette to come out more without the "sheen" of active. At least thats what I am hoping for. :D

Scott

3. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

Thanks! Duly noted!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

active EMG J's can sound suprisingly passive ran straight to jacks - which I do but nobody else really does. The reason I do so is becuase I found that onboard preamps and even a passive harness can suck a lot of warmth and rawness out of a set of pups. I ran enough pups all 3 ways to draw my conclusion and pulled onboard controls - which I don't need anyway.

For those who need onboard controls I'd think about something along the lines of a Sans DI or tube pre - which I've actually just begun to explore myself but it looks to have some promise. I never messed with tube amps themselves but I may get around to a small one in time. I prefer portability so I'm looking to the tube pre to begin with.

Has a lot to do with what your rigging is too. There are some amps that wouldn't sound warm no matter what pups you use. Perhaps another reason to think of something outboard for exploration. Plus with outboard units, you can remove them and do a comparison. You can't do that with an onbaord preamp so you really don't know what affect the preamp has seperate from the harness itself. Since most active/passive switches are not true by-passes and you only have minimal control passively, passive switching would unlikely an accurate A/B comparison.