Opinions: Spector NS 2000 Q4 v. Dean Edge Q4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seamus, Mar 9, 2001.

1. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    It's uncanny how similar the specs are on these two basses. I think I read somewhere that they may even be manufactured in the same place overseas. They are both Korean right?

What are your opinions on the superior bass between these two, and why? I would love opinions on fit, finish, and sound.

Even if the reason is you think Spector has more brand equity than Dean, that's cool too. I'm curious about what sets them apart and who comes out on top.

Thanks! :)
  2. I was in a very similar predicament about six months ago looking through the musicinasfriend catalog. They seem to have very similar specs (ex. quilted maple top, 35" 5 or 6 strings, emg hz pu's), but IMO are still very different. Here's my thoughts on a Dean edge Q5 and Spector ns2000 Q5:

Right off the bat had a very good finish and the quilted top really shined through, but was kind of a bluish-green color (ick) and I could definitely see where the top stopped. The neck was pretty thin front to back but wasn't too wide. Hence the string spacing was really tight and vey hard to slap. The sound was pretty good too with a punchy, bright sound, but not a deep bottom. Overall it played well and sounded good, but I didn't like the string spacing (not wide enough for me to be comfortable with), the body shape, and that ugly headstock.

Nice body shape and good finish, but it's harder to see the quilt (its also are darker blue color). The neck is wider than the Dean and thicker (chunkier), but feels better to me. Very playable. The sound seems much better on this bass with better bass response and a more distinct tone. Sounds great to me. Only real thing I had a problem with was that I broke my 'A' string tuner, but replaced that easily. The strings are still close together, but not as close as the Dean, so some slap is workable. I like the Spector much better. I also think Stuart is a perfectionists and would never put out a poor instrument under his name just to make a few bucks. He just wants to let everybody to be able to play a Spector, but the Dean is worth at least a look.

Just my 2 cents.
  3. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I'll eat a bug if these aren't both manufactured in the same factory, along with maybe the ESP "Ltd" basses, as well. I think the Spector has the edge, too, and probably a better resale value should you decide to off it later. Either instrument would likely be a keeper by replacing the pickups and electronics with "REAL" EMG's or Barts.
  4. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I'm looking at a used NS 2000 Q4 and a new NS2000/4 at the moment. If I can't get the /4 at the price I want, I may just pick up the used Q4.
  5. Seamus,

Try for the neckthru NS2000!! It is the original example of what Stuart originally had intended when deciding to mfg. the NS2000 line of basses in Korea (at the Samick factory, I believe) It also has the carved ergonomic curved body that is a Spector trademark. Regretfully, the quilted appearance of the "Q" is nothing more than an ultra-thin veneer of sorts or possibly even a decal, applied over a non-curved/carved i.e. flat slab, basswood body.

I know it costs a bit more but try to pull it off, you will not regret it !! As a rule of thumb regarding Spectior basses, always strive for an example of one that comes closest to at least a Czech made example, in this case, a neck thru NS2000 with the carved ergonomic body.

Good luck !!
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Thanks Riz.

Yeah, I am going to see what I can get away with as far as price because I really would like to get the 2000/4. It's got the carved maple body like you pointed out.

Has anyone heard that the newer 2000's (not the Q's) are going to have a quilted top? I thought I read that somewhere, but I've yet to see any.
  7. Yeah I have heard that the newer (mid-2000+) NS2000 neck-thru's were to come std with the quilted top, but I too have yet to see one. My NS2000/5 is just the clear amber stain and you can see the grain of the maple real good. Looks great for not being a quilted top !!

Good Luck on your Spector, keep the Spector fraternity here at TB up to date :)