Opinions: The Sunn 1200s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Winston TK, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    The title pretty much says it all.

I'm curious about these things. The features seem impressive. The power is certainly more than enough.

Any thoughts?
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I think Fender pulled the plug on Sunn. Anything you buy would be used or new stock that was unsold when the company went out of business. That said, I was not impressed with the 1200S the one time I checked it out. Seemed to have a rather generic tone. YMMV.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Fender did pull the plug on Sunn......I've seen the 1200's going for three hundred bucks now...I was tempted:D
  4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    You got it, Jerry.

It's the classic Trace Elliot Syndrome. The merchandise is really priced to clear these days. I find it extremely tempting.

I'm still going to try and track one down locally and give it a whirl.

Any other opinions on this soon-to-be-rarified piece of equipment?
  5. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I have one.Run it thru a Sunn 4x10.I like the "vanilla" flavor it gives with my P bass.A guitarist friend of mine said it was the best sounding bass amp he's ever heard.I like the all tube Sunn better,but didn't want to have to lift it.
    I use the mid-cut for when I'm just practicing(read fooling around),but live with a band it cuts thru better without it.
    I also use it for acoustic guitar and if I ever get an electric piano I'll use it for that too.
  6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Now maybe I'm one of those guys who just doesn't get it, but I own the 1200S now for 2 years or so, maybe a few months more.

It's got a ton of power, a decent graphic, compression high and low, mixes of compression, compensator for compression, two channels, mixes of channels, some tone notches, high/mids/low.

I've had no reliability problems with it and only have changed the clean channel pre-amp tube once in two years. It sounds really good but I'm using great speakers (EA208's and AgGS112) and what's considered to be two of the better sounding basses (Lakland 5594 and Modulus Q5).

The headroom for this rig is excellent, I'm barely pushing the cabs, the speakers are not bouncing off the walls, the amp definitely has decent tone BUT I use a 31 band graphic to smooth it out to my liking in addition to using the graphic on the head.

I personally like the way this head makes my stuff sound better the the AG359 I had. I feel that although it's certainly not as warm a sound as an all tube, I prefer the sound of this head better anyways.

I'm not worried about the Sunn/Fender issue. It's a bargain, there's nothing complicated about it and as long as you get a warrantee to cover your butt for the first year or two, and can purchase for elcheapo, I'd recommend it, especially if you need higher wattage to push cabs like Acme's, EA's, etc, or need high volume with more efficient cabinets.

Feel free to email me direct if you have any other questions.