Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions wanted - best mixer for live and studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by maimz, Apr 21, 2002.

1. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    hey all im looking for an analogue board with alot of channels(atleast 16) with good features and a solid build that will allow me to take it on the road with me the odd time without sacrificing functionality in the studio..im considering allen and heath as well as soundcraft at the moment...does anyone know what other options i should consider at the moment..peace..btw..good to be back!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mackie stuff is also quite good.

3. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    the thing that i have been hearing over and over about mackie is that all the channels are on one pcb as opposed to a modular approach..to me this would cause two things..1.if something goes wrong its gonna be a hassle to troubleshoot it and one thing failing may cause the electronic domino effect..2.some of the soundcraft boards are more open to be customized..as in some of the more high end boards...
    im into analogue..i couldnt imagine stepping with a mixer...also can anyone tell me what the difference betweeen a parametric eq and a graphic eq..
    btw..i just thought this...since i have alot of gear with knobs that i dont really want to be tweaking i figure that i can afford more channels to save wear and tear on the nice, old stuff..the m series soundcraft is 12 channels and is only $100 cheaper than the 16 channel allen and heath..does anyone know why this would be? one guy said different prices for different companies..but it was a sales rep and sounded like an excuse for laziness or lack of knowledge..help!

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Of what I've heard, sound engineers tend to favour A&H boards out of the ones mentioned. They are supposed to perform very well for their price. Their preamps and EQ are said to be more musical-sounding than their Soundcraft or Mackie counterparts.

On graphic vs. parametric EQ, this thread tries to explain what parametric EQ is.

5. Allen & Heath Mix Wizard. I think it's the 16:2 model. I'm looking at getting one myself. Only drawback is the line inputs. No pad for tape returns in the studio...

Otherwise I'd go with a Spirit M12 (only 12 mic inputs though, and only 1 sweepable mid). Otherwise, a Mackie 1604. I've used one of these pretty extensively. If they had a better EQ I would have bought one. I have a 1202 VLZ-Pro that I love though.

Other than that you're looking into the A&H GL2200 territory, for twice the cost. But after hearing that board last night, and talking to the engineer at the bar afterwards...I'm still drooling. ;)

6. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    "No pad for tape returns in the studio... "
    "Only drawback is the line inputs"

sorry i dont understand?

also..yeah..the spirt m12 is the one i was also looking at compared with the mix wizard..only 100 cheaper but 4 less channels than the allen and heath..

"A&H GL2200 territory, for twice the cost. But after hearing that board last night, and talking to the engineer at the bar afterwards...I'm still drooling"

ill have to check this one out..i know that the 32 track soundcraft board is only 1000 cdn more than the 16 channel version..i just dont have the cash for that right now so i am limiting myself down to 16 channels..im going for sound and i want as much control as i can get...then the next mission..a recording device...heeh...my studio will never stop costing me money at this rate..peace

7. The line inputs on the Mix Wizard need to be boosted to bring them up to "line level." A nice thing for live, but annoying (for some) in the studio. It's a only minor complaint from me.

8. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    "The line inputs on the Mix Wizard need to be boosted to bring them up to "line level."

ok..how do mixers more equiped avoid this? and how would i make up for it by external equipment..and what exactly do the drawbacks affect in a studio environment?

9. Most mixers line inputs are are already at a decent volume, so you don't have to boost the gain to bring your source up to an appropriate level. To make up for it on the Mix Wizard, you just gave to turn the preamp gain knob to where you want it. The line inputs are just a little quieter than most other mixer's line inputs. Like I said, not a really big deal. I don't think you'd need any other equipment, just a turn of the knob and some time to set it to the way you'd want it. It's a live board, that's why it's made that way.

It depends on how you have your studio setup though. For me, it's a work around, but it could be different for you. Without knowing your soundcard/software/etc it's impossible to tell whether it's even a problem. I just wanted to let you know...

10. You owe it to yourself to check out a Midas Venice. It's a small format desk with 6 auxes, group outs, control room/tape out, tape ins, two sets of L/R masters, 4 band EQ with dual swept mids. It's a little more expensive than the GL-2200, but the A+H doesn't even come close, sonically. I'm not kidding, I use large format consoles all the time (Soundcraft Europa, Series 5, Midas XL3,Heritage 3000, XL4) and the preamps and EQ on the little Midas are in the same league as the big boys. Anyone who drooled over the 2200 might do something else over a Venice........:D Not knocking the A+H, though, it is a great little desk. Don't buy a Spirit, you'll be sorry..... I've had several of them apart. Cheap components, cheap workmanship. UGH!

11. The company I work for is a Midas dealer, I'll see what I can dig up the next time I'm in the shop. We're also a Soundcraft, Allen Heath and Yamaha dealer :D Actually another really nice small console is the Yamaha 01-V. They're great for small gigs and recording. Edit: original poster was looking for analog.....oops.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    In the studio you need different things from a board than you need live.

Sounds like you want a studio board, really. If you buy a good live board you will probably find it lacking in the studio.

13. maimz

maimz

Jul 23, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    yeah..i am looking for more of a studio board..but id still like to do the odd live show...will the allen and heath do both? im definitely wanting clarity and control from the mixer