1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions wanted from LaBella roundwound users.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Oct 14, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have been a LaBella flatwound fanatic for a long long time and used to really love Slappers too. I am interested in what round wound LaBella sets any of you are using and your opinions of them and why you use them. I have one of the three packs BSOL offered a while back and I am just breaking into them. Started with the Stainless Steel Rounds. I am interested in hearing what others have to say about LaBella round-wounds.

Make me smart! :bassist:

2. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Love their flats too and tried their Deep talking rounds, 44-110 on my Fender American standard jazz bass, It totally nails what I was looking for! A deep, clear, chrunchy sound that isn't harsch but just pure articulate, with lots of meat on every string!

After break-in they just stay that way, way darker than most steels, for a loooong time.
    They sound quite similiar to DR Fat Beams, except maybe a little less slap-friendly tone and more fundamental! Also that metallic sound that most LaBella strings have, especially present in hi mids - highs.

Great strings! Really brings forth fundamentals in a clear way, altough not as soft as nickels sometimes do.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I really like Hard Rockin steels. I like dead rounds, and they're the deadest out of the package of all the SS strings I've tried. Not completely lifeless, just warm and subdued without too much zing. I had a heavy set of deep talkin steel rounds on my SG but I didn't like them at all. They just didn't sound balanced.

4. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    Haha nah, the Hard rockin' are way more balanced! I love their tone tho'.

5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    So far I am really digging the Stainless Steel Rounds. They are a bit stiffer than I like. I may need to go with a lighter gauge as I do with the Flats. They are not very slap friendly but the overall tone is excellent. They have a rich top end with a full robust and articulate bottom. I will certainly check out more sets.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Labella makes Carvin strings. I really like the Carvin Nickel rounds. I don't know if there's a Labella alternative.

7. I've been playing the Nickel Plated rounds 45-105 on my fave J bass for a little over a year.Love the tone,not bright and clanky but more mellow and still has balls.The tension is fine for me but I tend to like a bit stiffer string.BSOL rules!!

8. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I use Carvin SS 40-100-128t on my Sadowsky. Really nice SS strings that have bite without being over the top bright. They last for long while too. Two reasons I keep coming back to them are great B string and half the price of nearly everything else. I used to use Hard Rockin' Steels and these are the same or nearly the same IMO.

I used Carvin Nickels for a while 45-105-128. They were ok. Did not last as long as steels. And they would go from too bright to too dead too quick for me.

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    So far I am really digging the Stainless Steel Rounds on my 2012 American Standard Jazz. They have a great tone. I am going to try the Nickel rounds on my 75 Jazz next and see what they are like. They certainly seem to be high quality strings just like the flats.

10. Alex J

Alex J

Jul 5, 2011
    UK
    I'd been using DR Sunbeams for years, but have recently put Labella Stainless Steel rounds on my Univox Eagle (70s P copy) and on my Carvin SB5000.

Tension wise they feel just right, and after they lose that initial new string zing, they seem to stay punchy and fat but still with enough brightness for slap etc. Plus they really growl if you dig in!

11. JoeDemo

JoeDemo

Dec 4, 2008
    I just got a set of the Labella RX stainless steel from Jason at Bassstringsonline.com and so far I like then a lot!!!! Great feel and tension........