1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Wanted: Mesa Power House 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mournblade, Sep 28, 2008.

1. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Here is my situation. I currently have a SVT -4 Pro, into a Carvin BRX - 4 x 10. Looking to add some bottom end, so I am thinking about adding a MB Powerhouse 1200 (4 x10, 1 X 15). My question is, should I go with the 8 ohm version, so that I can run both the PH1200 and the Carvin cab (also 8 ohm) or bag the 4 x 10 (meaning keep it for home) and get a 4 ohm PH 1200 for when I (hopefully eventually) play out? Even if it is overkill, I think it will be a neat toy. And if my understanding of the impedance is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. Eventually, I want to add a Titan V12 head and run it @1200 W (@ 4ohm). Thanks in advance!

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'd just get a 4 ohm cab. It's going to be ungodly loud either way. The 410 is just an extra something to carry... I doubt it's going to improve on the tone of the PH1200. So just push the 1200 like it was meant to be pushed :).

3. mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Thanks for the reply.
    How are you liking that V12 so far? I really liked it when I played through it, but still want to do a direct A -B comparison once my cabinet comes in.

Also, anyone who has direct experience with the PH 1200 (or PH 1000) pleas chime in with good or bad.

4. mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Bump, still looking for any reports on the Powerhouse 1200 (or 1000, its predecessor) also any reports on the Powerhouse 215. Thanks!

5. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    powerhouses are stand alone cabs in my opinion. I have a powerhouse 1000 or 1200 (can someone please explain the difference mine is 4 by 10 with a 15) 4 ohm version. These things are loud. Unless your touring ozzfest i doubt you really need anything else. I let my friend borrow it for a medium sized amphetheater gig. about 500 seating capacity. I had my mesa400+ driving it and it was the clearest amp ive heard. His band plays metal and he downtunes his spector 5 string to A. The cab and the head had no PA support and were competing against 6 marshall cabs stacked run by marshall power amps and it cut thru loud and clear. I was also surprised by how articulate the fills sounded, not muddy whatsoever. I previously owned a bigblock 750 which was the v12s smaller counter patr and it fits cab well as well. It gets a whole lot louder and trust me it can handle those 1000 watts.

My 2cents: get the 4ohm version... no need to run the powerhouse with any other cab. use your other cab for home and backup

6. Billygoat666

Billygoat666

Sep 19, 2007
    I owned the Powerhouse 1000 for about a year until it became too much of a pain to lug around. Other than the weight, it was definitely the best cab I've ever played through. Not to mention, it looks like a killing machine.

I would say without a doubt, get the 4ohm version. There is no way you'll ever need to run more speakers than this. I was running an Ampeg SVT 2Pro and a Mesa Big Block 750 through it and they both absolutely killed.

That being said, make sure you're ok with the weight. When I bought mine, I said "This will be a pain to haul around but it will be worth it." When I got my new car, even though the cab would have fit in the back seat, the door didn't open wide enough to get the cab in. It is not easy or a pleasure to cart around. With so many 410's and smaller cabs around these days that can handle crazy amounts of power, I just didn't find it worth it to lug that thing around so I got rid of it.

If you do decide to get the PH1200, go 4ohm or I think you'd really regret it.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I think all that happened here with the PH 1000 vs 1200 is that Mesa decided to change the name. I believe they are both the same 1x15 + 4x10 configured cabs.

Don't have any insight into the why though.

sure is a Nice cab for a big rig application

8. mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I am pretty much sold on the PH 1200 , and with tax return next Feb the big block V12. I went up and played through one at CV LLoyde in Champaign (IL). Grabbed a Tobias with Bart soapbars and it absolutely growled through that amp (was hooked up to a Mesa 4 x10). My eagle and Mock also sound great. Really digging on that head.

9. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    The 1000 changed to 1200 because of the power level, went from handling 1000 watts to 1200 watts. Probably something to do with the drivers.

This is one of my favorite cabs of all time. I always felt like I lost tone when I used two cabs to get 10's and 15's, etc. My guitarists call it the 'Thump God' because I have to turn it down for their Dual Recs. I am a 15 pheen, I wonder if I would like the 215 better than my cab, I wish I could try one. Or imagine, both, muhahahah *evil laugh*

10. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The PH1200 has a ton of bottom end, really a huge sound. I'd suggest A/Bing it with the PH610 to see which tone you like better, then go for it and sell your other cab. Adding some other cab to a large format powerhouse could never improve your sound, and could easily totally ruin it.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    4 ohm for sure.

My "Mesa Endorsement" rig (ha!) will consist of a Vintage 412 + Powerhouse 1200.

I currently have a Berg NV425 (310+115) and really like the sound of all the drivers in one nice setup.

12. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    I think cabs that have all the drivers contained in itself sound fuller and better IMO. Not to say I didn't get good tones out of mixing 4x10s 2x10s with 1x15s and 1x18s, but always felt like something was missing for some reason.

13. D-Man VanKrill

D-Man VanKrill

Dec 4, 2007
    Alaska
    They Changed the name to 1200 because they increased the wattage of the 15's by 200watts. So 600watts for the 4x10 and "600" watts or the 1x15. The Powerhouse 1000 had 600 watts for the 4x10 and "400" watts for the 1x15. I like the new idea of balancing the power of both cabs myself, (600 and 600), makes things easier and more powerful :) ha ha.

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I don't mean to derail the thread, but what's a "15 pheen"?:confused: