1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions wanted on a "Nampeg" cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by georgestrings, Apr 5, 2009.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I posted recently about how to ID the drivers in an SVT410-HLF cab, and Jarrold Tiers was gracious enough to give a great answer(besides the help of others)... The reason I was wondering, was that the cab was really clean, and was only going for $330 - then, it hit me - was it a USA Ampeg??? I just called the shop, and they verified it for me - made in Vietnam...

Now, I'm thinking that it still has the same Eminence drivers in it - verified by Jerrold's info - and it sounded really good... I've *heard* that the "Nampeg" cabs aren't as durable as their USA counterparts - but don't know that 1st hand... It'll probably mostly see rehearsal duty, as my main gigging cab is a Mesa Powerhouse 610, so it most likely won't take the beating that a regularly gigged cab would...

So I'm asking, would "Made In Vietnam" be a dealbreaker for anyone, given the condition and price of this cab???

- georgestrings

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    my vietnam svt410HLF was made better than my USA one. the usa one was chip-board and the VN was high grade plywood. the fit and finish was better as well.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Most of the problems with early Asia-built electronics are from poor quality control. QC would be a problem in any new factory, no matter what country. Once the factory learns how to build the product---and to spot mistakes---they start cranking out good quality pieces.

This is the same story with a new product in an existing factory: the people on the production line take some time learning how to build the new item.

When a company moves production overseas, it's mostly to save labor costs. (There are some savings in component shipping, since most parts are now made in Asia too.) But the design is the same; the components are the same. If it's good, you should be fine.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I was thinking I'd pull a handle or the backplate to verify that it was built out of plywood... Another way of looking at this is, that it can't be very old - and the drivers probably are low mileage...

- georgestrings

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I hear you - quality of THAT individual product is typically more important to me than the country of origin...

- georgestrings

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Exactly.

PS: I'm typing this on a late-2008 MacBook Pro, made in Shanghai.