Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions wanted on my DP custom bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedV, Apr 2, 2002.

1. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hi all. I'm in the process right now of choosing woods for my DP custom bass with Dave. Let me say first off that Dave is a great guy and a real pleasure to work with.

However, I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on an asthetic issue...I THINK I want the body wings to be burl maple, like the pic at the bottom of Dave's Specials page, with two stripes of a darker wood; either padauk or purpleheart. I'm leaning towards padauk right now, but think the purpleheart lends itself a little more subtley to the burl maple. Whick compination would you guys choose and why? I don't think it'll have a HUGE affect on my tone...or am I wrong?:)

The neck will also be a 5 piece with plain maple/dark/maple/dark/maple..with the 'dark' being either the padak or the purpleheart.

Opinions wanted!!

Alex

2. are you getting a 4,5, or 6 string?
    everyones gonna have a different opinion about looks. what looks good to some looks horrible to others.
    purpleheart is a very cool looking wood, I'm not too up on it's sound qualities though. Me personally, I'm not too into the spalted stuff. I think if I ever get another DP I'm goin' for a Cocobolo top like talkbass user "rickbass".
    I think what should be the number 1 factor in your decision making process should be the tone. what good is an awesome looking bass if it sounds like crap? since you already know what kind of top wood you like, do some homework and find out the sound qualities of the other woods you're interested in. see if they fit in your idea of what you want (for tone).
    or you could start from the bottom up and think of the tone you're after. then, choose your woods according to the research you've done to achieve it.
    you want to make sure you're not going to be dissapointed in a couple of years when you realize you should have gone with X wood instead of Y.

3. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Thanks for the insight chumpstain.

The bass is gonna be a 6 string fretted. So far all we've established is it's going to be a 36" scale and have 1 Bartolini quadcoil with a 3band eq.

I'd already emailed Dave last night that I wanted padauk with the burl maple because it would give me the tone I wanted(cutting through, but able to be dialed back), but then I went to his site to check out the other woods just in case and was kinda taken by the shade of the purpleheart. I suppose I just wanted a second opinion on my original choice.

I too wasn't all that impressed by the spalted maple. Maybe it looks better in person, but I definitely liked the looks of the burl maple much better.

Thanks again, and might I add that this is a WONDERFUL site..I've been playing for 10 years and this website is probably the coolest thing I've ever found for bass:)

Alex

4. I second that :)
    well, it sounds like you know what you want. I say think about it real good, then go for it. Dave is great to work with, if you have any questions about wood, he would probably help you out.
    keep us informed on the progress of your bass. :D

5. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Will do!:)

Alex