Opinions wanted on the Gallien Krueger Backline Series 250 and 115 combos?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Nov 10, 2002.

1. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Do any of you have any experience with these and what is your opinion on them? There are no dealers in my area and as such I can't try one out for myself, so hows the tone, etc.,etc.?
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I looked at one of these at a GC last Saturday. It seems o.k. Not a Heavy Metal arena rock amp, but for any bar-room around my area, it'll do. I used a store bass to play thru it, so before I really plunk down bucks, I gotta hear my BG through it.

They said $450.00 out th' door.
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I am not a big fan of the G-K sound. Reliability has been an issue in the past. I would check out Ampeg and Ashdown combos. Ampegs, although not very reliable either, sound great. Ashdown has a line of inexpensive combos that sound great and are really loud.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    theyre garbage. i like gk heads and their tone. this doesnt have any tone. id much prefer a crate combo to one of the backline combos.
  5. dumoti

Oct 12, 2002
    Flatlands, KS
    As an owner of one, I would definitely say DO NOT BUY ONE. I purchased mine in January as more of an impulse buy than anything else, and now I regret it. After only a short while my Low-Mid pot went south. Then the speaker slowly went after that (unrelated, I hope). When I ripped the cabinet apart to check out the speaker, I noticed the incredibly cheap and sloppy assembly. Both of the internal supports on mine have come unglued (and I haven't mistreated it at all). Well, I learned my lesson with this piece. :rolleyes:

Oh, and as for tone, it's pretty bland. Nothing special. I'd take your $450 elsewhere.
  6. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I tried one the other day. I thought the tone was pretty decent. I thought there were a variety of tones easily dialed in and had quite a bit of volume. Since I only tried it in the store I can't comment on reliability.
  7. aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    I tried a backline 250 with the separate 115 cab when I purchased my stingray. I was suprised at how good it sounded. Not expensive and good sound. Snappy too for a 15. I tried the 10 inch combo before and thought it was pretty good too.

I don't own one, so I cannot say anything about quality. Based on sound alone, I would purchase the separates. according to the GK website, the Backline 115 cab seems to be the same as the next model up exactly. Perhaps there are different connectors or construction techniques. But the dimensions, weight, power handling, speaker used, etc. are exactly the same at about half the price. Keep in mind that the 250 is 125 watts into 8 ohms with no hope of driving 4 ohms (connecting another cab!). A little more money gets you the 400 II. I would buy that with the backline 115 and later buy a good 2x10 to add to the mix.
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I played a GK combo, it was a GK RB400 head with 2 x 10 speakers. It blew out GC on volume 4. It was an active bass I was playing through. I purchased a GK RB 400 head because of it. Not sure which model it was, it was priced around $700.00. Sounded good. The combo your looking at is very entry level, practice type of amp.