Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions Wanted: Schecter or Peavey?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Right now, I am paying off stuff for my car, so I'm in the research phase of my bass hunt. (You know, the stage when you have no money, just GAS?) Anyway, I'll be able to save up some money since school is starting, and I won't be driving all over my county any more.

So...

I've been looking for a new bass for like 4 months, and am now actually ready to start considering factors, pros and cons, and testing the basses in question.

I picked the two becuase of their price range.

Schecter Stilletto Elite 4: msrp: $729 retail: $600
    34 inch scale
    Neck-through-body
    EMG HZ pickups
    Vol/Blend w/ EMG Active 2-Band EQ
    Black hardware
    S-Tek bridge
    Multi-Laminate Maple & Walnut /Rosewood neck and fingerboard
    Mahogany w/ Figured Maple body
    24 frets

Peavey Cirrus BXP 4: msrp: $719 retail: $600
    35 inch scale
    Neck-through-body
    2 VFL™ active pickups
    Active 3-band EQ with +/- 10 dB boost/cut
    Gold hardware
    String-through-finger style bridge
    Pau Ferro fretboard
    Dual expanding truss rod
    24 frets

So...

Have any of you got anything to say, both good and bad about these basses???

Right now, I'm completely siding with the Peavey, just through previous experience with the brand.

(If it helps, I play a heavy style rock like Rob Zombie, Otep, Staind, etc etc etc...)

~Ryan

2. With my expirience with both of these basses, I'd have to say go for the Schecter. Almost all of the Cirrus' I've played have just kinda sucked. The schecter to me just had a better tone and playability.
    Just my 2 cents.....

3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Eehh... I'm not a Shecter guy. I've played a Stilleto. It was OK I guess. I own a Shecter guitar, and it's terrible. Always has to be fixed for something or other.

I'd say these basses are almost equal. Both are MIK imports. Never played a Cirrus BXP, but if they're anywhere as good as the American ones, then I'd spring for that.

4. mlu

mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    Peavey's IMO lack alot of quality. The Shecter Stilletos are excellent for that price range. I would definatley go for for the studio. The look gorgeous. The sound alot better than they are worth. I would aslo suggest looking for used basses. There are alot of warwicks in that range.

5. I personally find it hard to find fault with Peavey's quality. Other than the overall quality of Yamaha's, Peavey's can't be beat IMO.

6. If you have $600.00 to kick around, there a couple of Fender American Precision/Jazz basses on ebay. *nudge* Eh?

7. I haven't played the Peavey, but I just bought an Elite 4 and I love it. :bassist:

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I haven't had the chance to play the Peavey yet either, but I've played the Schecter quite a few times and think it's a great bass for the money. If $600 was my budget I'd buy the Schecter Stilleto Elite 4 in a heartbeat.

9. My money would be on the Schector for sure. Tough to beat for $600 IMO.

10. Low Notes

Low Notes

Aug 20, 2005
    I've had an elite 4 for a couple years now and have no complaints. It's a great bass for the money; very playable, great tone and look. I don't think you'll have any regrets if you go with the schecter.

11. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Peavey MILLENIUM (USA) -versatile and great playing bass with super flexible electronics (beats the USA Cirrus). Great prices used. You can find one for less than the BXP

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cirrus, suck? I think that at least two people in this thread have never played a Cirrus.

I own a USA Cirrus. Best sixer under $2000 IMHO.

The Schecter you mention is a nice bass for the price. Good fit & finish, I am not a big fan of the electronics.

I finally played my first Cirrus BXP this past Saturday. WOW! I was blown away. The fit & finish was outstanding, and the best part is that the bass sounded just like a USA Cirrus. The BXP has the sweepable mids, so you get a lot more flexibility vs. the 2 band preamp in the Schecter.

My wife wants to learn the bass, but she really just has GAS. She is on her second bass, and still can't play a lick. She is wanting a tigereye Cirrus BXP 4 for Christmas.

Looks like come January, I will have a new 4 banger to take to gigs!:D:p

13. Id have to go with the Schecter. I played a Schecter 5 string when I was in the market recently and I thought it played extremely well. Action was right on, the sound was very livelyand had a very natural string spacing. Heres where the story goes bad for the Cirrus. I couldnt find a Cirrus BXP anywhere to play, but I did find a couple USA's, so I tried those, and was blown away. The USA was one of the best basses I have ever played. After reading how close the USA and thye BXP were, I ordered the BXP darkwood. When it arrived it had 4 cracks in the top and the action was terrible, but that can be fixed. Believe me, there is no comparison between the USA and the BXP, and for the extra $600, their shouldnt be. I thought the BXP looked cheap and just didnt feel anywhere close to the USA, or the Schecter for that matter. I think the Schecter is just a better selection in this price range.

14. Lucky man!

My better half plays flute and you know how much those things run?

15. Man, I know EXACTLY what you mean, lol. My chick wants a Spector performance series, the ones below the Lengends. It was a fun bass to bang around on, I'll admit, but I like the Legend for the money... Seriously gotta get out to GC to play a 4 string version to make up my mind. I'll be heading back into Orlando in early November for a H.I.M concert, I guess I'll do it then.

~Ryan

16. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I'd say play them both to see if one stands out in your preference over the other. They're both gonna be pretty good workhorse basses.

If you're wanting oohhhh wooooow factor, you're probably not gonna get a whole lot from either. That's OK, good basses though.

I own both a Peavey and Schecter. I have a 1986 Peavey TL-Five that's been my main bass since the day I bought it.

I bought a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 fretless, becasue it had the best feel (IMHO) of any five string fretless I had played - price point not withstanding. I like it, I play the crap out of it. The only thing I want to change on it is it has two volumes plus the eq. I prefer a blend Master Volume arrangment. The Schecter website indicates that the newer ones are Master volume blend.

I have owned several basses over the last 25-30 years, including Fender, Rickenbacker, BC Rich, Spector and others.
    I chose these because they work for me. YMMV.

[​IMG]

Les Paul - Peavey - Schecter