1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Wanted: Seymour Duncan 4000-Series PUPs for my Rick 4003

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by T-dawg73, Mar 15, 2009.

1. T-dawg73

T-dawg73

Feb 7, 2009
    Norwalk, CT
    hi everyone,

I have a 1987 RIC 4003 Blonde, and truth be told it never had that zingy coppery RIC sound. While I love that RIC sound, I'm more in love with how the bass feels, and plays (it also has tremendous sentimental value for me as my dad bought it for me shortly after I started playing), rather than getting it to sound like a RIC. After years of being in a case, I want to start playing it out again. But want it to sound as good as it plays, and all I'm looking for is just good high output, noiseless pickups.

So having taken it to Joe at CT music, he strongly recommended getting something as close to direct placement as possible because it is considered a vintage instrument and he said it's in amazing shape. He said he just couldn't bring himself to do any crazy mods to it. CT music also has a relationship with Seymour Duncan, and Joe said they're probably my best bet for pickups.

Sure enough they have the 4000-Series pickups, and I'm considering dropping both the neck and bridge in because it seems they're as close to direct replacement as I can get.

So have any other players here used them, are you happy with them? did it really change the sound of your bass? Was it a "minimally invasive procedure" - meaning that no wood has to be routed or anything.

I look forward to the replies and thanks for the help!

-Tdawg

2. Flintlock

Flintlock

Jul 3, 2007
    Southampton
    What are you after? Do you want that Ricky sound or are you trying to reduce it?

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    to me those humbucker duncan replacements removed all traces of "rick-ness", giving the bass a thick, kinda generic tone. they do fit without altering anything, though.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I sent you a pm about the Bartolini Rick replacement pickups ...

Also you can install an HB-1 Rick pickup in the bridge position that will give it a fat tone ... I have one I can sell you if you want.

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I've owned Ricks with the regular and SD pickups and I prefer the regular. That being said I can't seem to make a Rick sound good no matter what I do.