Opinions wanted- soundgear pickup changes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mazinger, Dec 17, 2002.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    So I hate the electronics on my SR800 and I'm thinking of going passive.

If I go passive will the sound just suck more? Don't know if the light bass body will affect the sound too much.

Should I just change the controls?

Anyone have any experiences with gutting a SR800?
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got a Soundgear and I was gonna hot-rod it by changing the pickups.

The advice I got was that the Pickups aren't the problem, it's the preamp that lets em down. Mine's the one with the sweepable midrange so if I was gonna replace the preamp, I'd need to find one with a sweepable midrange - IMPOSSIBLE.

In the end I decided it was too hard.......
  3. top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a suggestion for you. If you have passive pickups with a preamp here is a possiblility. Get out your solider iron, and find the signal wire going IN to the preamp. Then jumper that to your output jack and disconnect the wire going OUT of the preamp. Play your bass. If you like it but still may want to keep the preamp, you can either get a push/pull pot (make sure you know the resistance value and the taper) or drill a hole for a SPDT switch. You may be able to do the same for active pickups but I really dont know. I did this when added a preamp to one of my basses, and found I liked the passive sound better, so I just took the preamp back out.
  4. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea I have a soundgear too. SR645, I know its different pickups than yours but i definately like to change mine.
  5. I replaced the pups and preamp in my SR. In hindsight, replacing the preamp first is the way to go, then decide on your pups. A good preamp makes a huge difference. A nice 3-band Basslines unit perhaps? Cheers
  6. Oh and I wanted to add, that figuring out how to keep your battery from wandering around in the cavity after changing the preamp is a bit of a pain. A battery clip and some Velcro have been doing the job for 18 months or so, but then I'm not jumping around much. Things definitely fit a little differently in there now. Basslines makes 2 and 3-band versions for both active and passive pups. Well worth the money,IMO of course. Cheers
  7. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I have an SR506 and might do the same thing. Someone I talked to in Detroit said he dumped a set of Barts in his 506 and it sounded awesome.

The problem with the Ibbies isn't the contruction - it's the electronics. Worth modding IMHO.