Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions wanted: Tube Works RT-3300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rboyce, Jul 26, 2005.

1. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey.

I've performed a search on this board for information/reviews about the Tube Works RT-3300 head, but have not found much. So...

Does anyone have any experience using a Tube Works RT-3300 head? They seem to sell for a reasonable amount of money in local music stores as well as on eBay. It has all the features that I need/want (tube preamp, lots of DI output options, etc.), but I just don't know anyone who has first-hand experience.

BTW...I'll be running this through a Peavey 410tx cabinet, using a MIM J-Bass and an old Memphis "lawsuit" P-Bass. I play mostly alt-country/indie rock/classic rock. I'm hoping to that this Tube Works amp would give me more of a "grittier" sound than my (yeah, I know) Behringer BX3000T. Basically, I want something that sounds more like an Ampeg SVT without actually having to spend the money to buy one. I know, it's a pipe dream, but it's good to have dreams, right?

TIA,

ray

2. I think they were bought out by Genz Benz. Every time I googled for varous tube pedals and a Tube Works pedal came up. It basically dead ended there. Althought atleast one the pedals (901? the blue one) are of Butler design. I beleive that to be Bk Butler of http://www.butleraudio.com/ I'm not 100% sure on that though.

3. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thanks.

Yeah, I know that Genz-Benz acquired Tube Works several years ago. And over the years, I've owned/used several Tube Works product (a "Mosvalve" stereo guitar power amp and Real Tube overdrive pedal) that I've been more than satisfied with. I just don't see many reviews of this particular bass head that they used to manufacture. The user manual is still available on the Genz-Benz web site, so that was helpful. But I'm looking for some real-word experiences with it.

Thanks again,

ray

4. I recently won one of these on ebay and love it. I play a Cirrus 6, mim jazz with Diamzio Model J's, and a Peavey Axcelerator, they all sound great through it. I get a John Paul Jonesish tone with the jazz through the tube pre very easily. The F.E.T pre is great too!!! I don't think you're going to get an overdriven sound out of it,I really haven't tried, but the tube does warm things up nicely. If you can find one I say go for it!!! Here's a thread I started in reguards to mine.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189738&highlight=tubeworks

Fletch

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not played that model, but I did pick up a Tube Works RT-2100-ES, which is technically a guitar head. But, what I like about it is that you can dial in a clean tone and an overdriven tone (extreme, if you want!), then either switch between the two or blend them together. I bought this to use for my "rhythm guitar" rig (octave up signal out of my Akai UniBass), and it works great in that regard. But, it actually sounds pretty darn good just as a bass head, too.

I'm not sure if this helps you or not, but that's as close of a parallel as I can draw! :D

6. rboyce

rboyce

Oct 12, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fletch-

Thanks for the feeback - it sounds like you're pretty happy with the head. And thanks for posting that link to the other thread - Submonkey's comments were very insightful. Tonewise, it sounds like it's somewhere between a GK and an SVT - that's exactly what I'm looking for.

If you ever want/need to sell yours, send me a PM.

Also, what cabinet are you running with this head? And what's the total load you're running? Do you find it's loud enough running at 8 ohms?

Also...is the model # of your head the RT-3300?

Thanks again,

ray

7. Yep it's a RT-3300. Right now I'm running it through one of these http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184145,and I think it's plenty loud for a medium sized gig. Before my 2x12 came I was using an old 15" @8ohm and that seemed pretty loud to me too!!! I'm going to try them both together this weekend and I expect good results. I don't have any real experience with the BX3000T but I imagine they would be pretty close volume wise. If you do ebay, save a search and I'm sure one will turn up for you sooner or later.

Fletch