Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions wanted: what $1000 bass to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jun 2, 2001.

1. I am trying to decide on what bass I desire to buy. I'm looking for a 4 string, with active electronics(an active bypass desired as well). I would like a fairly versitile tone, but I also greatly enjoy the sound of Spectors and Warwicks. So the basses i'm looking at mainly now are

Spector European series 4 string
    Warwick Corvette Proline
    Warwick Streamer LX
    Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman

right now I am leaning toward the proline, I enjoy the way the corvette style plays and its comfort. The only spector I've been able to play is the Spector NS2000/Q4, I like it and wonder how closely related it is to a Spector Euro, since i think the P-J pick-up configuration would help me get the tone I want. Also any suggestions on other basses to look into would be appreciated, and also anyones opinion on the Fender Stu Hamm Urge II. Also I would like to know people's opinions of Modulus because there are no dealers near me that have them(i live in des moines, iowa) anyway, thanks for any help, you can e-mail me, my preferred address is pesci13@home.com, or post a message, thanks a lot.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    The Korean Spectors are 'ok'.

The Czech ones are WAY better, and worth the price.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've test driven an Urge II. Great instrument, nice shiny fretwork, tight neck joint, and a lot of great, albeit active only, tones. No bypass, as far as I can tell. Sounds a little like Stu's old Factor: bubbly and bright, but with a slightly rounder attack (not so clanky and metallic). Extremely light and ergonomic, though the blocky heel makes upper register work difficult.

Complaints: 1) the pickup routs could have been cut more cleanly; 2) really expensive for what is essentially a souped-up P-Bass Lyte. I'd own one but for the $1250 street price. Also, if you're a dyed-in-the-wool Fender traditionalist, you'll probably hate it.

The one I tried was sapphire blue. I'd really like to see what the amber one looks like.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I agree a/seamus, the CR series are <b>MUCH BETTER</b> than the korean series. Musician's Friend still has some for $899.99.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ex/shop/home/010601133350162083138155523215?pid=514416

Since you are looking for a bass w/an on/off pre-amp, you might want to put G&L on your list!!!!! The G&L L-2000 or ASAT are great sounding, great playing & best of all VERY VERSATILE basses!!!!!!

Personally, all the Warwicks I've ever played weren't for me. The necks were very chunky, the p/u's & pre-amp had little to be desired. But that's just one man's opinion.

Good luck on your search.

5. hey, thanks a lot so far guys, and thanks Nino, damn how I wish i had the money right now for that deal on the spector, but don't know if i can afford it. oh and by the way, i'm not a huge traditional fender fan, they just don't do much for me, j nor p bass.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Pesci...check out Dave Pushic at www.dpcustom.com

Very excellent custom basses in your price range (it's true!). Did I mention they are all custom hand made?

7. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    I'm a little confused. The Spector bass I recomemded is for $899.99. How can you not have the money if you have $1000 to spend? I didn't recomend a traditional Fender bass, I recomended a G&L L-2000 or ASAT. They might have Fender shaped (since Leo Fender created this company also) but it is a far cry from a P or a J.

8. I'm looking into basses before hand so i don't rush into a decision once i have the money(which knowing me i do things like that constantly) i should have the money in a month or so. as for talking about the fender i was mainly saying so pertaining to christophers comments about the urge bass. just to clear up any confusion.

9. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    OK. I thought I was missing something. I'm usually on in the AM before the kids are awake & I'm usually still 95% asleep!!!! :D

Godd luck.

10. Let's compare the Spector to the Warwicks:

Spector- neck through body
    Warwick- bolt on neck
    Spector- EMG pickups and electronics
    Warwick- MEC pickups and electroics
    Spector- carved back
    Warwick- flat back

The edge overwhelmingly goes to Spector IMO!