1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions wanted: which one would you sell...GK 800RB or 1001RB (gen 1)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Which one would you sell? GK 800RB or 1001RB (gen 1)?

I’m thinking of selling either one of my GK amps – 800RB or 1001RB (gen 1 – 540 watts @ 4 ohms) – in order to fund one of the lighter class D amps like the MB500 or MB800. Getting older and the back is not what it once was when I was younger; so the lighter gear, the better. Both of my amps are in perfect working order and are in great condition. I take very good care of my gear. They both sound great to me and have plenty of power for what I need. I do really like them but I don’t need to keep both.

I’m currently using a GK 4x10 Neo 4 ohm cab; which is all the cab I need for the small-med sized bar gigs that I play. I play rock/metal/alternative covers with Stingray basses.

My plan would be to leave the head that I do not sell back at the practice space and use the MB500/800 for gigging. Just trying to decide which head would be the one to let go.

Any opinions or advice welcome. Thanks!

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Keep the 800RB-it's a classic and pretty much indestructible.

TinyE, jwr, smogg and 16 others like this.
  3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Which one's older? Sell that one.

Just so you know, if you don't already (and you probably do) the MB series are great amps - really great, it's all I'm gigging these days - but really don't have that traditional GK sound. Much more "hi-fi" if you will. I was tempted by the MB800 and probably always will be, but got my MB500s at a ridiculous price through GC, supposedly used, but they look brand new to me. And those 500s are far more amp than I'm ever going to realistically use anywhere. Plus, y'know, 3.75 pounds. The future has delivered on at least one promise!

Good luck with the sale and the purchase. You'll be quite happy with an MB.

ETA: you'll probably take the MB to practice too, sooner or later. I ended up doing that. I am hanging on to my old SWR heads out of sheer cussedness, but am forced to admit that I'll probably never use them for anything again and should just get rid of them both. Edging into hoarding territory here.

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Sell the 800RB. It’s a low output amplifier.

alaskaleftybass and Omega Monkey like this.
  5. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    1001RB gen1's are nothing special (IMO). Keep the 800RB. Keep the classic. :thumbsup:

6. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Which do you personally have a greater connection with? I'd say there's technically no wrong answer here, but I'd bet there's one you've bonded with more than the other.

7. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I've got an MB500 and a 400RB at the practice space. Personally, I think the weight of cabs makes way more difference than the weight of the head when it comes to moving stuff, but I guess I do only gig the light head :) I'd probably keep the 800.

EatS1stBassist and Ekulati like this.
  8. Keep the 800RB. Nothing sounds quite like it. :)

9. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    I'd keep the 800RB. Supposedly GK is revamping/updating their amp lines, so you might want to wait on the MB?

10. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    keep the 800RB. It will hold a 400$ value for awhile imho. Plus I think you will get more money for the 1001.

BrentSimons and EatS1stBassist like this.
  11. keep the 800RB. One of these days you might need that sound again.
    I've bought and sold many amps in the last 25+ years, but for some reason I keep the 400RB on the shelf, just in case...and really, I have used it a few times in the last couple years just because...someone needed a loaner, one guy wanted "that GK sound," and another time it was the only amp at the practice space so I used it for rehearsal for a couple weeks. I used to throw it in the van on tour as a backup. It has it's purpose and should be retained.

12. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Another vote for sell the 1001, keep the 800.

13. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I would keep the 800RB only because you can always get a better 1001RBII anytime you want.

BrentSimons likes this.
  14. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    No contest, sell the 1001RB.

The 800RB will never go out of style.

BrentSimons likes this.
  15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia

16. Sell both... get a class D 500+ watt amp AND a low watt tube amp.

17. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    800RB

18. Keep the 800RB. Lots of magic in those amps. I wish I still had mine.

MobileHolmes and BrentSimons like this.
  19. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Are the 800s really that much different than the 1001? I haven't had a chance to play through one, just heard others through them. I've used the 1001 a bunch and it is an awesome amp. I can't tell if people commenting here have used both extensively or if the 800 just has a bigger reputation/legend because it's older.

I would keep the 1001 mainly because being much higher wattage makes it a very usable backup amp should your MB to be be out of commission or just unavailable (like you forgot it where your other band practices across town and you have a gig in an hour in the opposite direction, etc...).

Do you prefer the tone of one over the other? Weight wise they are pretty close, resale wise they are pretty close, power wise no contest goes to the 1001. Ultimately it probably depends on if the GK pushed sound is something you want MOST of the time, or just once in a while. For me, with a Stingray and that Neo 4x10, I would want lots of headroom to really get the most out of them, even for practice (practice like you perform). And 540w into a good 4x10 is just about right for a wide variety of common gigs.

20. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Keep that 800. its classic for a reason.