Opinions Wanted!?!?!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Okay, I was just screwing around on my bass, something I havn't done in months!!! :eek: So I'm a little more than just a tad shabby. I finally got a recording setup working, and I was wanting an opinion of how you would describe my basses sound, the tone, you know, that sorta thing.

I see the terms "grungy, growly, boomy, muddy" and other being thrown around here, and sometimes, I get lost as to what term is used to for what sound. I think everyone has their own opinion for each term, and I have no idea what my bass sounds like. lol.

It's a Peavey Millenium 4 BXP passive jazz bass, being played with a pick, "covering" "hair of the dog" by nazareth. (Bridge Volume max'd, Neck Volume @ 50%, tone knob all the way towards the bridge.)

[NOTE: Gonna have to turn your volume up on your speakers a bit.]
  2. Seem's to me that your rhythm is a bit out of wack and some of the notes seemed to be off key unless that was just me thought thought so.

Tone in my opinion sounds ****, don't really know how I could explain improving it. To me it sounded.....flat? Try and add a bit of color to it by loosening the treble etc. Just have a play around and soon you will get something that you like. How long have you played bass for?
  3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You're out of rhythm and out of key young grashopper ;)
  4. It was a VERY quick recording, an dI wasn't trying to impress anyone with it. I've been playing for a year, but just picked it back up recently after about a two month "hiadus" so I know I am shabby.

Maybe I'll do another one, with the bridge at 50% and the neck max'd? Other than that, it's just the Peavey shining through! lol.

5. New recording here... It's part of my warm-up, something I didn't even do yesterday. Hopefully it's a tad better, it is much shorter though.

Neck & Bridge volume @ max
    Tone @ 50%

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It sounds better, but your timing is still off. Maybe you should try playing that same thing with a metronome clicking along. It might feel awkward in the beginning, but I'll pay off for sure :)
  7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    If you can afford it, buy a pandora.

It has realistic drum beats wich makes it funnier to play with than just a click.

You can also record(well, 30sec only but it's still something) so you hear if you're off etc... + it got effects.