Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mettec, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    I have a Pre-Fender SWR SM-900 (Red Logo) that has been in 2 different authorized repair shops over the last 2 months. The problem is that the volume cuts out and then back to full and cuts out again. Each shop has a few different techs but none of them can figure out what is wrong. They have replaced certain parts but nothing seems to fix it. SWR can't use any of their current parts because the new ones have different configuation inside the chassis. The current repair place even had SWR's head tech call and tried to figure it out but with no luck. So today the repair tech called me and said that they cannot work on this amp anymore it's taking to much of their time. So he offered me a choice. They could send it to SWR's former head tech out in Calif. since he is knowledgable on the Pre-Fender SWR amps. Keep in mind that this amp is in excellent physical condition and is out of warranty for close to 2 years. I still would have to pay $150 for the current repair as well as shipping and cost of repair to the former SWR tech which could cost me close to $300 not even guarantee that he could fix it. The second option was that someone brought in a Ampeg SVT-5PRO to have a volume stem replaced but the guy would sell it for $600 and in mint condition that way I still have a powerfull amp to run with my SWR Megoliath cab. What would you suggest that I do or do you have a better option? I paid $1200 originally for this amp and got 2 good years out of it.