1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NationwideBass, Mar 7, 2008.

1. I'm considering replacing my 1969 Ampeg BT-25 because of several reasons.

1. It's old and I've put a bunch of work into it to get it where its at now, but I'm still not satisfied that it's going to hold up and I'd rather get something newer and feel more secure about it.
    2. It's a pain in the ass to lug around in a Honda Civic ;)

So, here's what I'm thinking:

1. I need to cut through a Marshall Half Stack and a very loud drummer.
    2. I need to be more portable and fairly reliable.
    3. I want to be able to EQ it quickly and easily to go from a nice rich deep tone to a growl.
    4. And the most I want to spend is ~$500

So, what about the idea of buying a power amp and using my PodPro (not the XT) as preamp and add my cabinet of choice?

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
  3. yeah, I'd say I was loud enough 99% of the time. what would be the advantages of this particular combo that made you recommend it?

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The knob style EQ controls on the head are pretty versatile, then on top of that they give you a graphic EQ which is foot switchable. The amp has a built in compressor which may be of benefit as well. Without the drive control engaged it is a pretty clean sounding head, yet as you turn up that drive control it adds a mid-range grunt that is somewhat reminiscent of a tube amp. All in all it is just a very versatile amp that can get pretty loud and doesn't break the bank. I used to use the older version of the electronics in the combo (R600 SIII) with a 2x10 cab for rehearsals against a Mesa half stack & Marshall half stack with no volume issues.

For the money, I think it is a hard combo to beat. But if you were to double you funds, I would probably look elsewhere.

5. Well, not quite doubling but the wife just said I could throw an extra $200 on cause she didnt get me a birthday present last year! woo! :hyper:

6. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice! You might want to check out the GK combo's through RMC Audio (you have to request a quote to get the price - but they will be significantly cheaper than anyone else). I don't think a GK combo would be as versatile as the Carvin, but they do make good reliable products. Another think you should do is go to a music store and play a few things to see how they sound to you.

Lastly, for $700 you could pick up a GK 700RB head from RMC Audio and a used (Avatar?) cabinet. That may be another option that would deliver a huge bang for the buck.

7. Got some good suggestions here, but I still haven't pulled the trigger cause we just weren't financially ready to, but it appears this is the week, so I've gone through and tried to make a better list of what I'm looking for, so I'm going to share it with everyone else to get ideas of what people think I should look into. Here goes:

Favorite Bassists (In no particular order):
    • John Entwhistle
    • Geddy Lee
    • Bruce Thomas
    • Mike Dirnt
    • Matt Freeman

So basically, I really like the bass taking a pop-punk, lead line sound in a lot of instances. All of these guys, except for Geddy play P-basses almost exclusively, so my mid-80s MIJ fits the bill nicely there. Where it gets interesting is their choice in amps. These guys go/went from Marshall (Entwhistle) to Mesa to Ampeg to Peavey.

In my specific case, we're less punk more pop. Lots of comparisons to Elvis Costello and The Attractions. With only one full time guitar (the singer plays rhythm occasionally) I also need to be able to keep it full a lot of times while the guitar gets the lead line, so I don't want to always be in the mids either.

I'm also torn between a combo vs head/cab setup or going with a power amp/cab setup using my POD as a preamp. I need portability, we're always in and out of places (rehearsals and gigs) and I don't have a huge car, but I can get my 2x15 Ampeg cab in it now. I want something lighter though, it gets pretty heavy after a while.

In the past I've had a Scorpion Equipped Peavey TNT115, a Berhinger 8x10 with matching head and now my Ampeg BT-25. Of those three, to be 100% honest I think the Berhinger sounded the best, but mostly cause I think I prefered the 10" speakers to the 15"s.

I also would like to avoid used gear if possible. I really would like to go with something that I have a warranty on and I know where its been and how its been treated.

So, given ALL of that and $700, what would you be looking at?

Thanks!

8. BTW, I am seriously considering the original Carvin recommendation, but there's no place close by that I know of where I can try one out. I really would like to play something before I buy it.

9. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd suggest picking up some Markbass gear. Lightweight, killer sound, versatile and very portable.

10. wouldn't MarkBass be a little out of my price range?

11. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Ashdown, man. In that price range, Ashdown is going to give you more of that highly colored old-school Ampeg-like tone that pop-punjkers love with their P basses. Look up the Ashdown MAG series.

12. I've thought about it. I've also heard questions regarding quality and Ashdown.

13. Its unfortunate you dont want used gear. If you havent seen theres a HOT GB rig for $500 in your area. a GBE 600 and NEO 212.

14. I actually didnt see that. I'd buy used gear if I felt it was really well cared for. I just need this to last a good long while.

15. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    Markbass.

The 210 combo with a matching 410 cabinet together weigh less than 70 lbs.

The combo weights 30 lbs i believe.

the 2X8 combo weighs 15.
    the 1X12 weighs about 25.

( IME. Not correct, i'm sure but darn close.)

16. Bleh. I went to Guitar Center today, and asked a rep to hook up a GK BL600 for me, and we started talking about what I was looking for, and when I told the sales rep my price range he got a dejected look on his face said 'Let me know if you need anything else' and walked away. Grrr...

17. BTW, from looking around there, MarkBass is WAY out of my price range, the GK BL stuff sounded pretty crappy to me. I turned the 10db cut off and it was all hiss and I was less than impressed that all they could do was set me up with a cab larger than what I wanted to play through.

18. Any Carvin product carries a ten day in home trial period. If y'don't like it send it back. I have a bunch of their stuff, including basses, and I love all of it! Especially the DCM1000 power amp.

Paul

19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    The MAG series is known for some reliability issues, but looking at only new in your price range, you've got to sacrifice something.

20. butchblack

butchblack Life is short. Do good. Find and do what you love.

Jan 25, 2007
    Waltham Massachusetts
    A BL600 and an Avatar 212 neo might br a good combo for you. How much wattage does the Ampeg put out?