1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NationwideBass, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    My 2c:

One thing to remember, your Ampeg speaker cab moves a ton of air.
    That's the way you've been able to get the bass volume you need with the BT-25

I suggest going with a new, smaller, powerful head, like a GenzBenz, and keeping your
    Ampeg bottom. Doesn't meet your req'mnt for speaker box portability but it will kick some (b)ass.
    The GenzBenz head will fit into some of the bass gig bags with storage

I think it's going to be difficult to match the Ampeg cab's volume with a combo amp.

If you get the new head, then maybe save for two cabs, 1-15" and a 2x10" cab.
    Take one or both.

-or maybe just one 4x10cab.
    I picked up a used (xlnt condition) Sunn 4x10" for $200 last week.

or- Maybe find a couple of empty 1x15" cabs and install your Ampeg speakers.
    Again, take one or both, whatever fits the gig.
    I picked up an empty Sunn 1x15 cab a couple of weeks ago for $75.
    I've also seen some combo cabs(sans head) going for cheap.

Here's a couple of massive lists of combo reviews:
    http://www.bgra.net/reviews/combo-index.html
    http://www.activebass.com/products/reviewdir.asp?t=8

2. So, here's what I did. Realizing you all were right, I was price limited looking at new equipment. So I picked up a slightly used Ampeg B2R off of here and a brand new Ampeg 410HE from Musician's Friend. The B2R into an 8 Ohm cab like this one is rated for 200W RMS, and can go to 350W at 4 Ohms. I figured the 4x10 was a good compromise for size and continuing to move air.

I would up getting the whole thing put together for $750. A tad bit higher than I wanted, but $50 isn't going to break me either. If it would, I shouldn't be buying more stuff anyways ;)