Opinions Wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, May 22, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR

After all the advice I recieved on my last question, I figured I would make use of the great folks of Talkbass again. So I have decided that in the next couple days I am going to return the Ampeg SVT-350 amp I bought at Guitar Center. I have tried very hard but just can't seem to get a sound that I like from it. So, with the money I get back I need to get a new amp head to run my SVT410 HLF cab. I don't know many different amp companies so that is why I'm looking to you guys (and gals). The sound I'm looking for is a cruncy, growly sound. That's about the best way I can describe it. Examples would be similar to the tone Jason Black has on the Hot Water Music CD "A Flight and a Crash" or like Dirk Lance of Incubus has on songs like "Circles" and "Have You Ever" from "Morning View." I've always really like this kind of tone, but I've never been able to get anything like it to come outta my amp. It would be nice to have a good amount of "bells and whistles" because the SVT-350 just didn't have enough stuff I could use to tweek the sound. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Dirk lance uses warwick basses which is a major factor in his tone. he also uses 3 (each)eden pre's, power amps and 6 4x10 cabs eq'd & powered all individualy...along with a demeter tube optical compressor, big muff distrtion, dbx synth, phasers, DI"s etc. all into a digital loop so his tone is mix of many complex things.
  3. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    dirk is a pimp thats how he gets his tone :D
  4. go to www.guitargeek.com

Put in Dirk Lance for guitarist or Incubus for band and just look at his setup. He has the most complicated setup that i've ever seen. You'll see when you compare his rig to other bassist.
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Now this is just nuts![​IMG]
  6. I think dirk uses a lot of the Sansamp PSA to get a lot of different tones that he uses. I was reading about the unit and it sounds like it can give a massive amount of sounds. So i think if you really want to get tones like him...I think this unit would help a lot.

But i could be very wrong.