1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions: What should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wwittman, Aug 29, 2008.

1. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    okay, it's a longish story, but the gist of it is:

I need to buy two reasonably good playing, good sounding, solid, stay-in-tune bass guitars for no more than $800 (for the two)

Full scale is required, and I tend to go in the Entwistle direction tonally.
    Full bottomed but with the potential to growl.
    I tend to prefer a maple fingerboard but I suppose it's not ESSENTIAL.

I know that's not a lot of money ($400-ish each) but that's the parameter

so, what would YOU guys get?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Pick yourself up a couple SX LTD models. You'll even have some money left over.

3. Squier Vintage Modfied Jazz and Precision. You'll still have enough money for Waffle House on the way home from the gig.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Or a pair of Squires, Ibanez's, etc. Personally, I'd get one good bass, but that's me.

5. +1

6. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    thats hard. your basically looking to spend 400 eahc on a bass. u need 2 of the same? or one with a different feature?i would go with an ibanez soundgear bass

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Why do you need two? Different tones, fretted/fretless? What ar eth especifics?

8. KOOSEE

KOOSEE

Jul 15, 2008
    southern CA
    why would you buy two? that doesn't make too much sense especially since you never specified why you need two. seriously just go out and by a very versatile bass with most of your money than you can spend the rest on upgrades.

9. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Buy an 8 string and cut it in half.

10. LOL - For sure! :D

11. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    I didn't go into it because it's not IMPORTANT...

but I need two the same

They are just in different TUNINGS on stage, and, otherwise, the switch between them needs to be seamless.

I played a few Squiers today and they were just TOO crappy.
    they FEEL cheap (rough frets and so on)

I still want to try a Wentz model or the Vintage Vibe models.
    Or the Squier version of the Dirnt.

have you guys tried those?

I'm not looking for "money left over" if the bass is awful (like an SX)

Yes they need to be cheap, but I still have to play them on a serious tour and they need to hold up and feel and sound GOOD.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, you're in the ol' price/quality dilemma. Lower price usually equals lower quality. I'm in the "get one versatile bass" group. Get a five-string Jazz bass, then you won't have to be changing tunings. The basses that the others have mentioned are pretty much what's out there in your price range, and some of them are not bad. Getting two basses of the quality you apparently seek for $800 is pretty much wishful thinking. So I'd say you should get a Fodera and, of course, a Sadowsky.

13. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Could you clarify what the different tunings are. If it's just drop D, then one good bass and a hipshot D-tuner could do it.

14. buliwyfff

buliwyfff

Oct 13, 2006
    Virginia
  15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 for a good 5 string. Never mind 2 different tunings, there are other ways around that, put your money into some quality.

16. wwittman

wwittman

Apr 21, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    you know, I have to laugh!

I'm a touring pro with plenty of high end basses.

can't you guys actually make some suggestions based on the QUESTION?, or otherwise if you have no suggestions that's cool.

but believe me, I know what I need, in terms of needing two moderately priced basses, than you do.

plus, 5 strings are creepy:spit:

The idea here is also that in the countries where we'll be touring, they tell us things "go missing" at airports and such, so the IDEA is to have instruments I don't mind losing if it happens.
    That's ANOTHER reason why I don't WANT a nicer bass (or even a Geddy Lee. I own one, by the way, and it's about as far tonally from the Entwistle thing as one can get)

which is, again, why i didn't go into all this in the first place...

I don't want to debate the decision - its been MADE.

What I was asking for is opinions about $300 basses based on people's experiences.

anyone play the Schecter Diamond version of the Model T with the maple fingerboard?

how's that relative to the Squiers? (or for that matter, the Classic 50's P Fender?)

17. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    I would get one Geddy jazz:p but thats me

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    This pretty much sums it up.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You know, the obvious answer then, is to go check out some basses, and see what YOU like. Plenty of brands have been mentioned that all specialize in lower cost basses, those would be a good starting point. If you plan to take these things on tour, wouldn't it be best if you chose them based on playing them?

20. He got it right on the second response. Go for it.

Or buy used and you'll get more for your $$. For instance, you can buy MIM Fenders all day for under $400...get a J and a P and you're home.