Opinions: Who's Got the Best 15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mcbosler, Mar 20, 2002.

1. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I'm in the process of repairing a blown 18 that I've been using with a 4x10, and as a substitute I'm using a 15" monitor we had sitting around. I love the extra punch I get out of this size of speaker and would like to trade off once the 18 is in working condition. But I need help: there're tons of brands out there, and I need some input so I can narrow down the cabs to try at my local stores. I'm keeping the 4x10, so I don't want to go the 12" route; I'm set on a 15. So who makes the longest-lasting and punchiest one out there for a decent price?
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My two current favorites are: Eden D115XL and SWR Triad I (also has a ten and horn). The Triad is 4 ohms and more transparent than the Eden but the Eden kicks out the bottom like mad.
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I vote BagEnd. Punchiest 15 I've ever tried.
  4. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    I've added Eden and SWR to the list, but after checking out Bag End, they seem to think I have money...One other thing that may help with suggestions: I'm using a Carvin R600 (the 4x10 is Carvin also) with a Digitech BP8 as a preamp.
  5. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Bag End- light, cheap, and they sound great.

I don't like the version with the coax tweeter, though - too clanky for me. I think the regular version gives plenty of highs anyway.

EDIT: forgot to add that they're small and portable, too! :)
  6. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Which dealers have a selection of bag end cabs?
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  8. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    From what I've been looking at so far, I'd say my max is $500. Once the 18 is fixed I'll most likely sell it and an old Ibanez 5-string I've got sitting around, so that should help a bit on the financial end. Because of said price, a bag end from bassnw is looking pretty good at this point, but I still have a month or two before the other speaker is ready to go.
  9. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.
    Bag End seems to build a good product.

Quite a few folks here use and like their 15's.

I sure like my Bag End 10's.
  10. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I recommend a diesel series Mesa Boogie 1x15 cab. Very punchy for a 15" speaker, built like a tank. They cost $499 anywhere if you can find a NOS, or they can be had for very decent prices used online, such as eBay.
  11. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    BAG END. Of all the pieces of equipment that keep changing over the years, this one stays.
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Get Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center to send you a price quote on the Bag End Cabinets. They have the best prices that I have seen.
  13. Bass Northwest also has an Aguilar 115 cab for $399.That would work well with your 410 too.;)
  14. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    i'm selling 2 S-15D's Bag End's for $325
    with Tuki covers (each)
  15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Do you slap a lot? Get a Bag End S15X-D.

Not slappy, or not doing it much? Get a Bag End S15-D.

Simple. Next!
  16. I've tried an Aguilar 115 and it sounded great. The tweeter adds some snap and the 15 sounds rich and full. As if you need more choices to confuse you! :D
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was there when Zoom played this cab and it did sound nice it was trhe first thing we commented on!

I have a Eden 1 15 and it sounds great but the Aggie killed it in tone....
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How about in bottom, Funkster? IME the Aguilar GS410 has better bottom than the D410XLT. Does the same hold true for the 15?
  19. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How does the Hevos cabs sound? Have you tried any? I´m really interested in them but have not tried them. What about the Donar (15"+6")? Looks great in theory!