Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Larry Kaye, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'm sitting here on a cruise ship in the Caribbean and went to hear one of the many live bands yesterday night, coming out of listening to a set totally perplexed.

The bass player who I believe was in his late 20's or early 30's, played four string. The band was billed as a classic rock/top 40 band.

He proceded to totally butcher a bunch of really easy tunes that most of us older farts have played in 10 bands already, Sweet Home Alabama,Rock around the Clock, Wonderful Tonight, and Your Momma don't dance. His notes and tone were plain awful.

Then he proceeds to play a pretty popular Rush tune that although I don't know the names of all of 'em, it's one of the more played tunes. He sounded like Geddy Lee and played the song's bassline almost note for note perfect with exactly the tone on the recording.

It totally freaked me out how someone can play something that complex but didn't have a clue on what to play, how to play it, how to set the tone up, dynamics etc. etc. for the simplist basic tunes, like the ones mentioned upstairs.

My commentary is this: if you're gonna play in a band that is selling itself to the public as a top 40 / classic rock band, then learn the freakin' tunes right. Doesn't matter whether you can play Geddy Lee's parts note per note when you only play one Rush tune per set, when you can't even begin to play the other 35 minutes anywhere close to how they're recorded parts were played or sounded.

That's about it from Aruba.

2. Wow, that's really sad. He won't get the gig next season...
  3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Hey Peter, how's the Aguilar workin' out? I just found this really strange. Also, we went night clubbing in San Juan two nights in a row hearing some outrageous Latin music. Everyone cooked. Have no freakin' idea whether these bands copped the recordings to a T, but man did these cats have the tightness and rhythm.

Then, no offense to my white brothers, this souless, clueless band, plays Rush material and can't cut Loggins and Messina or Bill Haley and the Comets? I mean, come on guys. Don't bill yourself as top 40 classic rockers if ya can't play it right.

It's not that tough guys!!

Peter, when you graduating from Cornell?

4. Hey, man...the GS112 worked great for jazz but it's not cutting it in my new organ/sax/bass/drums funk band, so I'm gonna go back to a GS410. I just need the extra firepower and my sax player lives a block away, so he can help me haul it downstairs. :D

I'm done at the end of May. I plan to play 7-10 shows with the funk band (currently in the renaming process) and then throw all my gear into storage for two years so I can go spread the opiate of the masses.

Anyhow, I would hope that a conjunto puertorriqueño would be able to do salsa properly! ;)
  5. Hey Larry - we can tell you just wanted to rip the bass from the kid and show him how it's done!:D

It's amazing how bad some guys can be, and how well we could play those tunes instead - especially after a few cuba libras, eh? :)

I feel for you having to put up with that down there - I only have to worry about the two feet of new snow on my driveway.....;)
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That doesn't really surprise me. I run into players regularly that can't seem master certain styles.

I think it depends on your heart more than anything.

I worked with a young player not too long ago who could slap a bass until it begged for submission, but couldn't find slot with a simple country backbeat at all.

Where your heart is, your hands will follow.

7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Pretty sad if you can nail a Rush tune but can't do a passable job on straight-ahead rock songs. :rolleyes:

You're LDS, Peter? Are we to infer some ambivalence at this prospect?
  8. :D

Nah, it's just the term I use among friends/acquaintances who have visceral, knee-jerk reactions to the word "missionary." I also use "assume the missionary position for a couple years" when I want to disarm people.

Being religiously observant does not necessarily imply having a stick up one's ass.