1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions??!??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by forceybass, Mar 21, 2013.

1. forceybass

forceybass

Mar 21, 2013
    Hi Everyone

I'm looking to increase the size of my rig. I'm torn wondering whether to get an Ashdown MAG 115 or deep 210 or a Hartke 210xl?
    I'm currently using a hartke hydrive 115 (500w) and am going through a HA3500 head. with a 6 string bass i'm in a classic rock band and i'm recording an album too

I'm looking to buy at the weekend so any response would be greatful before then. when basically i'll flip a coin! : )
    Thanks

2. Double up on what you already have (hydrive 115)

3. THIS IS your answer! Best outcome without starting all over again with a different cab configuration. :cool:

4. Thirded.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Fourded.

6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Fifthed

7. forceybass

forceybass

Mar 21, 2013
    So would you not suggest that i not get the ashdown mag 115? being cheaper (very important) but with less power... is this cab not very good?
    i currently also have an ashdown abm 1015 (600w) (115+210 and tweeter) which i love but it's massive and so i was going to get a similar combo without the weight/bulkiness

thoughts?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's not that it's no good...it's that you have the Hydrive already, and while mixed cabs CAN sound good, it's always 50/50 whether they'll work together well or not, whereas matched cabs always work.

9. The dissimilar cab may or may not work well with what you have now. It could be a complete waste of time and effort or be a passable option. Not all cabs play well with each other.

10. forceybass

forceybass

Mar 21, 2013
    ok. so basically take everything into a shop and test?

Theres just too much choice... this is annoying!

Cheers!

11. Even more annoying is it may sound okay in the music store with mixed brand cabs and fail in a live gig to sound right. The reason everyone is saying two like cabs if you like the sound you have now. ;)

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    If you like your Hydrive 115, then yes, another Hydrive 115 is your best bet. As mentioned, a different 2nd cab (even if it's another 115) with the Hydrive 115 might sound good, or it might not.

If you don't care for the Hydrive 115, then find a box you do like & double up on it if need be.

13. Can we all agree that adding an identical cab is always the best choice and for many if us the only choice ?

14. Yes

15. A used cabinet will be less expensive. Guitar Center has a used HyDrive 115 cabinet and they can ship it to you.

16. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    No. And the fact that this is such a well trod path around here makes the question itself a bit silly.

17. forceybass

forceybass

Mar 21, 2013
    Cchorney, would you say there is some light in buying different cabs? I'm totally new at building a rig but loads of photos that I've seen of people selling cabs etc. lots of them have been different cab combinations.

18. What he means is the topic has been "discussed" here ad nauseum. Opinions vary widely on the topic and, of course, there is some science involved which complicates things even further. You know how people get when it comes to science. The fact that so many people use mixed speaker cabinets, including big "stars", makes the discussions much more animated.

You should check your PMs. :)