1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinoins please???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fufubear, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Fufubear

Fufubear

Dec 13, 2008
    Alright, so...my Current Rig, is SWR workinman's 4x10 with a Son of Bertha 1x15 underneath, and a Hartke Model 5000(20 watt) heasd on top....I've noticed that my 10's dont seem to be doing to much and mostly just my 15 doind all the work. Im thinkng about Going with another 1x15 cab and ditching the 10's all together....Is this a real bad idea??

Im thinking about getting a Hartke XL 115(the metal coned one) keeping my Son of Bertha and getting a HA 5500 head(pretty much the same as mine just double the power)....So the cabs will be rated at 550watts and the head at 500...that should be fine right? Sound like a decent pairing up of cabs?? Any better ideas?? oh....and i play in C-G-C-F tuning using mostly just the C and G strings...just so ya know. Im thinking this should pump out the lows in a real nice way, but the still be bright enough to get the small amount of higher notes i do use?

2. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Are both cabs 8 ohms? What is it that makes you think the 15 is doing all the work?

3. Fufubear

Fufubear

Dec 13, 2008
    Yeah both are 8 ohms....it doesnt sound like too much sound comes out of the 4X10 and the cones dont really move very much.

4. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I use the same kind of setup, SOB on the bottom and a Goliath 4x10 on top. I agree with you that sometimes, at volume, it's hard to tell what is coming out of each speaker, but if they are working normally, each is getting the same power. The excursion (cone movement) may not be as obvious on the 4x10 since there are 4 speakers spreading the load. Check the 4x10 by itself, at some relatively loud setting. Then try to 1x15 at the same volume, and I'd expect the 4x10 to be louder. If it isn't, it might be defective in some way. Try switching the cabling too, to verify that the output of the amps' jacks is the same with either speaker.

There are some folks on this board who can give you all the specs and the expected db SPL for each of your cabs and they will know if the 4x10 is indeed rated louder than the 1x15. My 4x10 handles more power than the 1x15.

That said, I like the sound of the 1x15 better, so if you end up with two, that could be good too.

5. Fufubear

Fufubear

Dec 13, 2008
    haha, alright thanks! i'll look into all that, but yeah....a big part of wanting another 1x15 is that i just kinda like 1x15's more >.<

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So do I. In fact, I only have one cab with 10's, a 210. 2 15's is where it's at. Of course, make sure your 410 is working, but have no fear adding another 15 into the mix, the 410 would probably pay for it.