Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opinons on bartolini pickups and preamps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by msr88b, May 2, 2004.

1. msr88b

msr88b

Apr 19, 2004
    Nashville, TN
  2. msr88b

msr88b

Apr 19, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    also would an aguilar preamp be better.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love the Bartolini sound. I have Bart pickups in both my basses now and will likely have them in future instruments as well (Zon!) Lots of growl and mwah in my fretless. Haven't tried out their preamps though.

I bought all of them at bestbassgear.com incidentally. Great service!

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Everything I've read suggests that, you're likely to get unexpected results, if you use anyone elses pres,,, if yer using Bart pups... the Aggie pres ARE great,,, but if your dead set on using Bart pups,,, use thier Pre, too.

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    same here. just put a set in my SX Jazz and love them very very much. nice full, sweet tone. also got em from bestbassgear.com. came quick and good price. :)

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The conventional dish on Bill Bartolini's pups is that they sound very "natural" and "woody"...........B.S.!!!! ....their sound depends very much on the wood your bass is made of and the construction methods.

For instance, my ash/maple Lakland Skyline with Bart pups and preamp sounds like a maniac! My cocobolo/walnut custom with a Bart soapbar in the neck position and a Basslines Custom MM preamp sounds very pure and "pretty" when the neck Bart is soloed.

Bill used to be a flameco/Spanish guitar luthier, and, as a result, knows excellence when it comes to tone purity. However, that doesn't mean his components can't sound like savages.

My advice is to phone Grasshopper, toll-free, at basscentral.com. He is an absolute expert on Bart pups/preamps and can typically get them faster for you at the lowest cost than anyone else in the U.S. Tell him what kind of tone(s) you are after and he will reco some Bart components if they fit your taste(s). (Hell, I talked to the VP of Bartolini Sales for the eastern U.S. and Grasshopper knew way more than him about Barts than the VP did!).

7. msr88b

msr88b

Apr 19, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Thank you for your responses.

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey there,
    Well my comment is this: Barts sound great in both of my Modulus basses. I also play a Linc Luthier and was thinking of using the stock Barts. A very reliable source recommended Villex pickups, and William Villex has offered to design me a custom made set. This is far better than any customer service you'd expect from Bartolini. The main distributor for Bartolini is Tom (T.J.) Wagner. His number is on the Bartolini website. Apparently he doesn't know anything about wiring, and is not very nice about checking on how to wire it. Explanations are not good at all. Custom orders take forever and a day. But, they sound good in my Modulus, although this reliable source said Villex was much better, and recommended using Villex pickups with an Aguilar OBP-1, because Villex has a passive mid control. I will say however, should you decide to go Bartolini, Brian Ristola at bestbassgear.com is a very nice guy, and I would highly recommend using the U-Retro deluxe preamp with it. I've upgraded my Modulus Jazz Deluxe with this, and before I had the two band Bart. The U-Retro stomps everything else I've heard, period. Including an 18volt three band Bart I have in my other Modulus (Genesis 5). I got my U-Retro from Brian at bestbassgear.com, but later found out that he gets them from the USA importer, Steve Barr, of the Dudepit website, which is Vintage Bass Trading Company in AZ. Finally, you might look at Noll preamps, http://www.bassline-bass.de/noll/noll.htm, they are German made and have similar functions to the E-Pro U-Retro preamps. Not sure where you get them though, and I have never heard one. Good luck shopping, and if you need help, I'm the bass guy at Sam Ash in Charlotte, NC. Later!!!!

9. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I agree completely.

10. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    In my admittedly limited experience Grasshopper at BassCentral was more expensive than going through Brian at bestbassgear.com I've ordered two sets of pups from Brian and had unbelievably fast shipping and the best price possible. Stick to your game plan my man and you'll be fine, the Bart pups are awesome in every application I've ever heard them in.

11. I've just ordered barts for the bass i'm building... a Musicman for the bridge pickup and a J for the neck... Agi obp3 pre from bestbassgear (dang they ship quick!!!). Imagine this stuff on a fretless 5.... OOOOOOOOO

Excuse my G.A.S. excitement, but i've been spending money on bass stuff and my heartrate has gone techno! ;)

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    That's certainly not unique to Bart P/U's. That can be said about any brand P/U's.
    If I owned one bass and it was loaded with Bart P/U's, I'd have a Bart pre installed. If I already owned a bass with Bart P/U's and Bart pre, I'd go with the Bart P/U's with:

1) Demeter pre - slightly quiter, warmer bass, less mid & treble control but treble is not as harsh as Bart & Aguilar.

2) Aguilar OBP-3 - more aggresive than Demeter, slightly more noise than Bart (sometimes), more mid ctrl than Demeter but less than Bart (Bart pre mid's rule), good high end boost.

Both pre's work well with Bart P/U's.
    .......of course tone is certainly subject! :D

13. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll third that!
    Should be "bestbassgearservice.com"

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, but you call up or email someone like Guitar Villa and they will tell you exactly what I said about Barts sounding "natural" and "woody."

As I said before, that's just a misconceived stereotype.

15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Just go with Villex. He'll make you whatever you want. What more could you ask for? Try it with the Villex passive mids and an Aguilar OBP-1 for a 3-band EQ. You won't get Bill Bartolini on the phone, but you'll talk to William Villex. Tell him exactly what you want. How can you go wrong?