Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinons on Spector Europe Series!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pmkelly, Sep 22, 2001.

1. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    My wife gave me the green light this morning to start getting the cash together for a Europe series Spector. So I need to hear the good and the bad about these basses, any experience you guys might have had with these. I would really like to get an idea also, if you don't mind, on what I will be looking to shell out for one, and if you guys know any place where I can probably get a deal on one. Thanks for any help you can provide!

P@

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you have about $1000 to spend, I'd suggest....

...a Spector (SUPRIZE!!!!!) Musician's Friends still has the Discontinued "dot inlay" NS-4 CR's in stock for $899.99!!!!!! The newer "Crown inlay" NS-4 CR's sell for $1349.99!!!. The only other difference between the dot & the crown is the crown has a better grade of quilted maple. This is only asthetic. The grade of maple used dosen't affect the sound. I bought one of the NS-5 CR as a back-up to my USA NS-5 & I love it!!!!!

NS-4 CR click here

NS-5 CR click here

I also have one for sale on eBay. <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1467427544">CLICK HERE</a> to see my ayction.

If you want to get a newer one w/the crown inlays, a four string will cost about $1350 & a 5 string will cost about $1500. You could always negotiate & knock a few hundred dollars off @ any store.

IMO for the money, they're almost as good as the USA counterparts. I have a USA 5 & the neck it ALOT better, it playes alittle eaiser due to the neck. The sound is better on the USA, but the both sound GREAT!!!!! I would never pay full price for a USA model. ($3000+) Whan I could get a Czech, which in my mind & experience, is almost as good as the USA. I paid $1500 for my USA 5 on eBay & i've seen them sell in that range on eBay. So if you trust eBay, you could probably get a USA for alittle more than a Czech there.

3. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Nino.... I have some other questions for ya', so I sent you an email... (hehehe)

P@

4. pmkelly,

I just got a Czech 5-string not too long ago, and it's a bass I would definitley suggest that everyone tries. A lot of people tend to put Spectors in the "rock only" camp, but I've found that I prefer the Spector for slap/pop over my Stingray. It just feels right on this thing.

I see from your profile that you're from KC, MO. I'm originally from Blue Springs (suburb of KC), but I'm at MU right now for school. Have you had a chance to actually play a Czech Spector yet? If not, maybe I could arrange to come back home some weekend before you dive in on this purchase. I remember having a hard time finding a place to play a Spector, and it turns out my only experience was with a USA bolt-on here in Columbia before I got the Czech. I like the Czech a little better too!

Edit/Addition: And nice sig too! The Hitchhiker's Guide may be one of the finest books ever.

5. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Hey Da5id HeX,

I had noticed you were from Blue Springs... I think that makes about 3 of us on here from KC! I played a Czech about a year ago, not really shopping for one, just screwing off, and I thought it rocked.... I was going to get out into town today and see what shops around here might have one, just to remind myself what it was like. I was playing an ns2000 yesterday, and that was impressive, so I theorize that the Czech should be steps up from that...
    Whenever you get back to town, give me a yell... we'll grab a beer or something!

P@

6. If you happen to find a place in town that has a nice selection of Spectors (and other fine basses), let me know. The only store in the area I was mildly impressed with was Big Dude's, and that was because they had a Sterling and Conklin GT-7 in stock.

And I may have to skip on that beer....only 19. :(

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    That's cool about the beer, we'll get you some Kool-aid or something:D

I haven't really seen that much in town recently, the stores here are really not that great... you should take the day and drive over to StL and check out the stuff there... I lived there about 10 years ago, they used to have some great shops...

But the spector idea might have to go on hold for a while, as I just got a new Epiphone Tbird today.... long story, so I'll start another thread for it!

P@

8. Congrats on the T-bird! I've never played one, but as long as you like it, that's all that matters.

Some day my geetar-playing friend and I are going to drive out to St. Louis and hit some music stores there. I'll just be sure not to take any money with me so I don't blow cash on another bass :)

And I love Kool-Aid.... Cherry and Grape....oh yeah!

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    let me know before you go to Stl, and I'll see if I can find out some of the shops that will have decent stuff... The only one that I can think of right now is the St Charles Guitar Exchange, which, curiously enough, is out in St Charles:D I'll try and find some more for you...

P@

10. excellent! Thanks a lot!

I just plugged my Czech Spector in through my computer (no fancy recording studio for me), and it actually sounds pretty good direct. woohoo!!!

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Actually dude there is no reason to go to st.louis! There is a store in Joplin Missouri that i bought mine that has a eurpe model now! Its a blue-black model 4 string! Joplin isnt to far from you so e-mail me if you want to come down maybe i could meet ya there and i could show you the other stores in town! there is some cool stores here! The one is called Glory days music on south main st. They also sell gnl there!
    There is also massy music on 20th that is are local fine fender dealer! There is also dons were you can find cool stuff some times! But come early so we can go to neosho and go to fly by night music in neosho because they are the best for vintage crap!

12. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    I just bought a CR FM bluestain from http://www.riksmusic.com for $1.219.00 that included a hardshell case,shipping,tax and all,the place was recomended by Spectors nat.sales guy,I love this bass,I've been playing for about 23 years 5 fulltime and I have NEVER had a bass that came close.