Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opionion on ABG

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterpoo33, Sep 17, 2002.

1. YES

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. NO

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
  1. masterpoo33

masterpoo33

Sep 16, 2002
    Me and my friend jam together almost everyday but the problem is that i always have to bring my electric and it always overpowers my friends acoustic guitar so should i invest an ABG?? :confused:

2. Don't you think you'd need some other reasons to plop down the cash on an ABG than "I overpower other acoustic instruments." Not to say that an ABG wouldn't be a sound investment, they are wonderful to have-I recommend a Godin A4.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Seriously, I'm not trying to be funny... have you tried turning your volume down?

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I bought mine because it sounds beatiful and I dont need to worry about turning any knobs on any stupid amps down.

Just me and my Tacoma.

:D

Peace
    Nick

5. Yes! Get an acoustic bass. I was doing the same thing as you and I am glad I got an ABG. Look at michaelkellyguitars.com for the greatest acoustic basses made my Michael Kelly and great prices. My curly top custom cost less than $400!

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    When you go looking at ABGs, do not go for looks as much as acoustic volume. There are SOOOOO many ABGs where the acoustic volume is terrible. In those cases, you might as well use your electric.

I got a tacoma, and it rocks. The fender has some decent acoustic output, not great but good. Martin is real good. The dean is not too bad. I had a washburn, and that was terrible, but I hear some people say that there are versions out there which aren't as aweful. Had a dillon, nice looking, but not usable acoustic sound. Oscar Schmidts are not that bad.

I have been through a lot of them, and extremely happy with the Tacoma. I would do it again....

7. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I can play acoustic w/o amp and keep up with Acouitic guitars/ mondolin etc. Only Tacoma!

8. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I was looking at the Michael Kelly basses online and wodering if they were any good. How is the acoustic volume on it? How about fit and finish? Does anybody else have any experience with these...

I don't want to spend too much, because, playing in a metal band, I am really only going to be using an ABG for fun, jamming with friends, etc.

P.S - Where are you in Ft. Worth... I live in Plano! :D

EDIT: I hate typo's :rolleyes:

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Hate typo's what? ;) Who is this "typo" anyway?

Back to the subject.... Search here for Michael Kelly guitars they've been discussed.

Also, Tacoma ROOLZ (had to add that...)

10. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Heh! :D Thanks, Man... I could use a laugh today! I am having trouble using my first language today for some reason... :rolleyes:

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Notice how the people voting "no" have nothing to say? ;)

Another Tacoma fan here...

12. I have the Taylor AB-4. I like it a lot. It is not loud. I had the Tacoma and I ended up plugging it in anyway. ABG's don't feel like electric basses to me at all, so I don't mind plugging in.

13. BassAxe

BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma . . .
    *deep inhale* Gaaaaaaaaasp!
    Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Guinness Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma penicillin Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma Tacoma . . .

You kinda get the idea.

14. wow. everybody has a Tacoma
    well I'll have an El Capitan 4 fretless come in by next week. It should be great. I've played the fretted version before and i had no problem jamming along acoustically with another guitar.

15. Basso Profoundo

Basso Profoundo Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Indiana
    Why don't you just turn your electric down a little?

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Or off completely - no problem overpowering anybody then! ;)

17. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    how are carvin's ABGs?

18. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I had one. They have almost no volume unplugged and are so bright when plugged in you have to roll of all the treble on the bass, even with the balck tape strings.

19. I have a fretted Washburn AB20 and I really like playing it. I use it for quiet practice, recording, some jazz gigs and also do an unplugged sorta R&B jazzy thing that it is perfect for. The acoustic volume isn't loud enough for me to play w/o a small amp, but the tone is wonderful. I have also added a magnetic pickup and a microphone inside for extra sound options..I've been thinking of getting a fretless or a 5 string with a hiC.

20. I have one now, and I love it, but it isn't really an acoustic bass. It's semi-acoustic, not meant to be played unplugged at all. Unplugged, I can hear myself in a quiet room playing alone, but that's about it. I guess it is pretty bright, but I usually don't roll off the treble much at all. It still has plenty of bottom, and a frightening growl. Mine is fretless, if that matters.

I also have a true acoustic bass guitar, and I love it too. It doesn't shake the floor and punch everyone in the gut like an electric will do, but it can be heard with one or two acoustic guitars, especially if I use a pick. I play it a lot--I can practice alone without bothering anyone, play it out on the porch, throw it in the back seat for a picnic. Mine doesn't amplify very well, so I wouldn't use it at a gig, but for playing around the house, it's great.