Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opions on this amp combination half stack: SWR and Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Casey C., Sep 16, 2000.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I need a new amp badly, i have been shopping around for about 3 months now, i really have decide that i really like the SWR workingman 4004 head/workingman 300 head. the cab i was thinking about getting is an Ampeg SVT410hlf. so im just wondering if anybody has complaints about this amp setup? my budget isn't that great so im get this stuff used.

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    My curreng rig is an SWR SM-400 head going into an Ampeg 410HE.

The thing sounds amazing. I upgraded to this rig because my previous head was just running out of steam. I expected to have to turn this head up to about 5 or so to be heard over my bandmates. So far I've been getting asked to turn down when I get to 3.

The tone is incredible. I tend to not like the typical hi-fi tone that you get when running SWR into SWR or Eden into Eden, and the Ampeg cab does a lot to add some balls to the tone. Very solid bottom end, clear highs. The cab can keep it together at very loud volumes. Both high quality pieces, buying them used should be fine.

Just my opinion but,I wasn't that enamored of the HLF line of Ampeg cabs, I thought the low on the 410HLF was mushy compared to the HE.

3. Ih8thegoverment

Ih8thegoverment

Sep 17, 2000
    That sounds like a very good setup. I'm using an used ampeg 8x10 with a SWR working man 300. It sounds great, warm tones and SWR heads in my experince can really crank it out , that way the damn drumer doesn't drown you out.

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I own a 410hlf and it's a great cabinet. Carries the low end real well and is solidly built. Since your buying a used rig make sure you check for blown speakers.

Good Luck !