Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

opnion on mix? levals, etc...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by .-.LeX.-., Jul 27, 2002.

1. hey guys, my band recorded some songs, and im wondering how you guys like the final mix...

im happy with it, yet not... im not quite sure what i dont like about it... its good,yet not... i cant put my finger on it

for all your studio and recording junkies out there.. could you point out what could make them better? thanks

here are the links-

1- Pride

2- I'm Sorry

2. RedV

RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Hey man. Not bad. Now for some OPINIONATED advice:)

Guitars are WAY too loud in the first song. It kinda throws the vocal towards the back, and they should be up front.

One feeling I get is that the vocal track is just lifeless; like it was recorded 'just to get it done'. I don't know if you could have that done again, or maybe just TRY and liven it up a bit(not sure how:))

The second song. BACK OFF THE "VERB(or chorus, which it sounds more like). I understand it's sort of a ska sound, but go listen to tracks by GOOD ska bands(Reel Big Fish, The Hippos) and you'll hear a nice DRY clean guitar. I think that would really help your mix to begin with.

Now on this song, again the vocals just seem like they're there. Not sure if you can track them again, but that might help. If not, see above.

Overall, these mixes are pretty good. What did you record with/through? Good luck with 'em and make sure to let us know how they turn out!

Alex

3. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Over all I think the mixes are not that bad, but there are a few things that just bug me. I think the first track needs more bass, and I really think something is bothering me about the drum sound, maybe the snare, a little more highs? on the second track the onlt thing I can think of is maybe just a little verb on the vocals so they don't sound so dead? Maybe try when the vocals have three lines or whatever it is going, adding a bit of verb to the backing vocals and bringing the lead up, and play around with the settings through out the song. see if it works anywhere else.

just my opinions, there is no right way to mix, it is based on people's opinions :D