1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oppertunity to purchase a 74 P Bass - does it check out? - input greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lespaulmarshall, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Hey there,

There is a 74 Precision bass in my area that I have the oppertunity to buy. Its not fully original, and I wanted to ask Talkbass to ensure it checks out to what has been claimed, and to see if it is a worthy purchase of around $1.3k (Australian). Thoughts on the price?

Your input is greatly appreciated as I don't have much knowledge on this stuff and time is a significant factor so I can't trawl the net too much.

The pictures arn't great, so appoligies in advance. The black squares are an email address removed for privacy.

The details:

Comes with OHSC and both chrome covers
    Non-original pots,
    Non-original pickguard
    One non-original chrome knob.
    Heavy ash body which shows signs of checking

Serial number on neck plate is 59XXXX,
    The green 8 digit neck code dates neck to 5th week of 1973

PICS:

nQNsiNh.

JPpE66W.

VXfb5w9.

moSaczE.

ZuLpFC7.

WRZiA1J.

Thanks in advance!

2. rrybicki

rrybicki Innocent Bystander Supporting Member

For those not in OZ, 1300 Australian dollars equals $1337 US Dollars (thanks Bernanke).

A lot depends on your local market. I would describe that price as pretty good, considering the pickguard and pots.

Looks like it might be kind of heavy.

Russ

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Looks real to me.

4. Thanks for that input guys.

The only thing that I am thinking about is the price, and the weight.

5. Update - looks like the bass is at the 5kg mark!

My interest has suddenly dropped. That is a heavy beast.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My 1974 is 8lbs. 11-ish is super heavy.

The bass looks good though....

P.s. My 1974 case doesn't have a fender logo and has a blue interior. Not sure if that means anything.....

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you think 11lbs is heavy, then keep on looking.

That bass sure looks like it's a-ok. The only thing I'd want to make sure is that the pickups are original. Stuff like changed pots, pickguard and knobs don't mean anything on a bass in this price range. The price seems good even by US standards. In Australia, where things like this are always more expensive, that price is excellent.